ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (25/119) > >>

Dirhael:
I've been using Total Commander for (and its predecessor Windows Commander) for about 5 years; took me less than a day to be won over to its clean, powerful interface, which just keeps getting better every year.

There's one desirable feature which it's still missing, though, and I'm wondering which of the the other FMs support it -- namely, virtual folders, i.e. the ability to create a persistent folder "containing" arbitrary files which actually are located anywhere, and to operate on them just as if one had opened each one's home folders (view, edit, rename, copy, change properties...)
-jdmarch (October 17, 2007, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, you can find that feature on Directory Opus. SpeedCommander and Xplorer2 has something resembling this a bit, but not quite as you can't really manage the files and folders exactly like you would in a real filesystem. Total Commander has a WFX plugin called "Temporary Panel" that gives you something very close to what you're asking for as well, even if it's not quite as transparent as the Dopus "Collections" system.

Darwin:
Darwin, the link for Directory Opus in the poll have some extra fluff :)
-Lashiec (October 17, 2007, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Lashiec - I've corrected it (all that was missing was a forward slash. Bizarre that it had such a profound effect!

SirSmiley:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, your definition of a virtual folder sounds like a folder filled with hard-links?

Or did you mean something more like Smart Folders on Mac?

Armando:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, your definition of a virtual folder sounds like a folder filled with hard-links?
-SirSmiley (October 17, 2007, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Must be. I wonder how it can work otherwise... unless it's using the NTFS Alternate data Streams + a database, or something similar, like the tag2find software.

tomos:
-SirSmiley (October 17, 2007, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Must be. I wonder how it can work otherwise... unless it's using the NTFS Alternate data Streams + a database, or something similar, like the tag2find software.
-Armando (October 19, 2007, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

In DOpus:

It's definitely not hardlinks - cause the folder doesnt actually exist anywhere -
you cant create subfolders -
e.g.
say you have a virtual folder "ABC", containing folders 1, 2, & 3:
you cant make a new folder in ABC & drag 1 2 & 3 into it. Cant make the subfolder atall.

It's more comparable to a tagging system really  :)

Also you cant add files to the root collection(virtual) folder

it's just a virtual containing folder

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version