ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (107/119) > >>

Tuxman:
On Android, I fell in love with Solid Explorer, although I try alternatives (namely Lime and Fx) every now and then.

peter.s:
Re XY: Its memory M doesn't seem to be really on the ace side, since after some hours (= that's acceptable, imo) of moving around pics, it (or more specifically, its special, rather new preview pane) is a real burden on my system, and closing down XY, and then re-opening XY will not do away with the prob, only closing down Win (XP) will solve the prob.

This being said, this floating preview pane (which I look upon on my second screen, tree and thumbs being on my main screen) is a BIG, BIG factor in my having chosen XY (of which I own a lifetime license, as for some others) for my pic M (but amended with some AHK scripting for this) - I like it a lot for that task.

This being said (again), I heavily suppose that DO would not be any "worse" than XY in this respect (but most dedicated pic viewers are!!!)...

As for traditional file M, ALL file managers are rather dumb, independently of them being free, or paid, and I kindly invite you to have another look at FreeCommander XE, which is a quite wonderful piece of (free, as the name indicates) sw, and which I prefer to use, again and again and again, in my daily file M - again, with some AHK scripting (but which would apply to any of my 6 or 7 file managers as well)...

In other words, I own several paid file managers, but 95 p.c. of my time (and except for pic M), I use this free one of which I'm more than fond.

I've said it before, and I say it again: Most file managers include SOME level of "additional (more or less integrated) functionality" to justify their respective price, but in ANY, EVERY case, there is at least ONE (even free!!!) tool that's FAR BETTER than the one having been included into your paid file manager, and which makes (or should make) you look from another, different perspective to these (sometimes rather preposterous) offerings.

ANY ONE of these paid file managers suffer(s) from them clinging to the old, outdated 2-pane NC concept, and I had been called a fool/idiot/lunatic in ANY of these fora, and by ANY of those developers, when I begged for MORE than 2 panes (and very unfortunately, Q-Dir is buggy like hell, whilst FileBoss comes with LOTSA probs of its own), whilst, for paying for a file manager, IT'S THE THIRD PANE that would justify almost any price (in an otherwise really good, stable, robust file manager), but that third pane only.

Re X2 (and of which I also own "lifetime"), it's one of the most HYPED applics out there, especially with a developer who, just like XY's (but with the difference that XY's sometimes comes with real good ideas of his own), does NOT listen to "ace users"... well, that's what I'd call myself in this respect, wanting to express that those "power users" would HAVE been a gold mine of good ideas for the respective developer, in order to very quickly propulse that particular file manager onto top of the bunch...

So, for "doing additional things from within your file manager", both XY and DO seem to be of some additional value (but could easily be replaced by more dedicated tools, in those respects), whilst "traditional, paid file managers", be them called X2, SC, TC, whatever, ain't worth their respective asking price - I'm speaking here from years-long, sometimes very intimate experience with (paid versions of) those; so some fine craft like FreeCommander XE, for "regular, standard use" is far from negligeable.

This being said (again), there are "alternative solutions", or more precisely, offerings that TRY at least, to offer some alternative, and I lately wrote about them here:

http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/5296/0/so-someday-around-1997-i-re-invented-miller-columns

File M IS different from IM, so you simply cannot mix up possible approaches, but it's undeniable that even FM cul-de-sacs are of high conceptual interest to what we're all striving at at the end of the day, and which is IM as a whole.

Tuxman:
As I'm currently flooding several boards with it, I'd like to attach my question also here:

Being a happy XY/x² user, I'm still looking for a good "orthodox" file manager (Norton Commander clone) for certain tasks. Required: SFTP support, no way to disable the second panel (I want to force myself into using it correctly), a decent GUI (no Total Commander stuff pls).

Altap Salamander, SpeedCommander or something very different? Any good reasons?
Tried them both (and FAR) and can't really decide.

panzer:
I am playing with Just Manager:
http://justmanager.ru/

Otherwise, Q-Dir is good enough for me ...

Jibz:
Being a happy XY/x² user, I'm still looking for a good "orthodox" file manager (Norton Commander clone) for certain tasks. Required: SFTP support, no way to disable the second panel (I want to force myself into using it correctly), a decent GUI (no Total Commander stuff pls).
-Tuxman (May 30, 2014, 06:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think if your only gripe with TC is how the GUI looks, you owe it to yourself to fix it up a little and try it again. Use a decent font like Consolas 10pt, change the color scheme, and add Notepad2 (set exit on Esc in its options) as the F4 editor. (I also added keyboard shortcuts so Ctrl-Left and Ctrl-Right change current drive, and Alt-anything to start searching, but those a preference I picked up from Dos Navigator.)

Orthogonal file managers are about a way of navigating the file system that has worked for almost 30 years, and while TC is ugly in its default setup, it can provide a very good implementation of this way of working with files. Basically, if you have to use the mouse, there's something going wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version