ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (105/119) > >>

hulkbuster:
Hello, i didn't want to start a thread, i just want some info on Total Commander.
I am giving it a shot. It all feels good and ok.
I am not getting a hands on its Multi-renaming tool (Usually opens after Ctrl + M).
Before i used to use Bulk-Renamer, which does a very good job.
Thought of using TC, default Renaming tool.

I followed some tips from here Rename with Total Commander., but i am not getting a hang of this tip.

rjbull:
i just want some info on Total Commander [...] I am not getting a hands on its Multi-renaming tool (Usually opens after Ctrl + M).I followed some tips from here Rename with Total Commander., but i am not getting a hang of this tip.
-hulkbuster (January 28, 2014, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not an expert on this, but it looks about right to me; mark some files, invoke the Multi-Rename tool, then edit the changes in much the same way as you'd do with BRU or 1-4a Rename.  The author of the article has made it look more complicated than it need be by changing several things at once, and by using regular expressions as well, but really it's much like the free-standing tools.  Why not try it on a few test files, or surf over to the Total Commander Forum?  Is there anything in particular that's baffling you?

Curt:
The Sanwhole Vole Explorer is (...) being updated so frequently that you would think he is bound to someday make it a well working program-Curt (January 04, 2014, 03:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

But how far has he already gone; what version are we at?:

Release records:
1, 18-Apr-2013 3.4.30418: First release.
--- End quote ---

-eh... was version 3.4.30418 the first release? His own words!  :o
Now it doesn't sound equally impressive that the current version number is 3.11.40108
-------

needed:

Framework 3.5 or higher

Windows Media Player Codec if you want to watch more kinds of video.
Microsoft Office 2000 or higher if you want to preview Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint docs.
Adobe Flash Player if you want to play YouTube video in VMC Discovery.
Adobe Reader if you want to preview PDF file.

--- End quote ---

It is not enough for Adobe Reader to merely be installed, it also must have pdf associated, AND have that annoying Adobe update thing placed in Start.

I will not test Vole any further.

panzer:
Just Manager (when it gets out of alpha):
http://justmanager.ru/

Q-Dir for now.

Innuendo:
Hello, i didn't want to start a thread, i just want some info on Total Commander.
I am giving it a shot. It all feels good and ok.
I am not getting a hands on its Multi-renaming tool (Usually opens after Ctrl + M).
-hulkbuster (January 28, 2014, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Although Total Commander looks like a very simple program that's easy to use when you first run it, appearances are deceiving. It's one of the most powerful programs you will ever use, but it can also be one of the most complicated you'll ever use as well. Those who master its secrets will never fear a file management task ever again, but the journey can be a difficult one.

Total Commander's Multi-Renamer has a lot of options that a lot of people would never need. A good way to becoming familiar with its abilities might be to just dump copies of some files into a test directory and start playing with the different options to see how the renaming plays out. Once you get a feel for what each button does you'll feel more comfortable tackling the more advanced tasks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version