ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (102/119) > >>

rjbull:
I for one use FAR Manager 3, i'm probably too used to the console "feel" (i've used Volcov Commander and Norton Commander back in the days).
I'm not very fond of "graphical interfaces" for file managers, that's the reason why i don't like Total Commander.
-verszipo (December 08, 2013, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
Total Commander is as close as you'll get to a console feel in a GUI program  :)  If you like console mode, there's also the excellent XTree-like ZTreeWin

Since version 3 FAR Manager it is freeware (actually opensource so you can even modify it if you want to), it has a new LUA scripting support and quite a few good plugins/scripts.
[...]
I also use a lot of portable apps with it for image viewing/editing, development and other stuff-verszipo (December 08, 2013, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
I didn't know it had gone freeware.  But, isn't it a slightly strange hybrid?  I was under the impression that though console mode, it kept its configuration details in the Registry.  That also means it isn't portable.

The author of the multiarc plugin for Total Commander wrote this in his readme:
Some ideas was "stolen" 8-) from FAR file manager by Eugene Roshal. Thank you, Eugene - you write a GREAT program but I prefer GUI applications in
GUI environment. 8-)
--- End quote ---

verszipo:
Total Commander is as close as you'll get to a console feel in a GUI program  :)  
I didn't know it had gone freeware.  But, isn't it a slightly strange hybrid?  I was under the impression that though console mode, it kept its configuration details in the Registry.  That also means it isn't portable.
-rjbull (December 08, 2013, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, from my point of view FAR is more like a console application than Total Commander, but it's just my opinion :p
What i don't like in TC are the toolbars and also the fact that it's not freeware :p

Since FAR 3 all settings are stored in MySQL files either in the "Documents & Settings\<username>\FAR3" folder or in a subfolder in FAR3's folder (depends on how configure it in the FAR.exe.ini file), so you can make it completely portable.
The only settings saved in registry are if you use old plugins (made for FAR1 or FAR2) and if you use ConEmu. Conemu had a beta that was portable but for some reason the release versions don't have the portable support.

EDIT :
also, a great feature of FAR is that i was able to connect using an SSH server (installed on my Win computer). SSH only supports text but since FAR uses a text interface i could still have the exact same interface that i'm used too.
On Linux i also use Midnight Commander so i like having 2 programs (FAR and MC) on 2 OSs and still have a very similar interface, this decreases the number of things i have to remember (and lately i seem to have trouble remembering things that i don't use often :p )

Innuendo:
Alt+DC on a file and the Properties dialog opens immediately.-4wd (December 08, 2013, 12:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just tried this on my Directory Opus x64 configuration and when I alt+DC on any file it just opens. No properties dialog at all. Checking the pull-down menu and I see Properties does not have any shortcut (keyboard or mouse) assigned to it.

My first question is are you two using a DOpus configuration that you imported from a previous version or did you start fresh with a new configuration when you upgraded to v10?

4wd:
Just tried this on my Directory Opus x64 configuration and when I alt+DC on any file it just opens. No properties dialog at all. Checking the pull-down menu and I see Properties does not have any shortcut (keyboard or mouse) assigned to it.-Innuendo (December 09, 2013, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

You set it under Settings->Filetypes->All files and folders (Directory Opus File Types)

Events-> Left double-click + Alt: properties nofromfocus

My first question is are you two using a DOpus configuration that you imported from a previous version or did you start fresh with a new configuration when you upgraded to v10?
--- End quote ---

Yes, but I didn't have Alt+DC set to anything, (I never used it for anything) - I had to set it myself and clear it from All folders (under Directory Opus File Types) and Archives (under File Type Groups).

If you don't clear it, then default is to Open the item.

Also, a bit more info with what I'm finding - the Properties dialog close and then Alt+DC action on the next file has to occur within 10 seconds.

ie.
Alt+DC on file, close Properties, Alt+DC on another file <- all within 10 seconds

If you wait 10 seconds between Alt+DC on items then the delay didn't occur.  It also happens if I use Control+DC instead but then you get items being left selected.

I'll clear out my DOpus install and see if I can narrow it down a bit more.

EDIT: OK, RevoUninstaller'd DOpus to clear it out, restart, and then installed DOpus 10.5.4.0 x64 with everything default (Ugh!).  Changed the Filetypes to match above and ... it still does it, (on a near new installation of Win8.1 Pro x64).

hulkbuster:
OK. the problem with Alt+DC went off, my settings in Filetype/All file and folder/edit
Alt+DC has not been defined, that did it.
But still feels heavy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version