ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (84/119) > >>

cranioscopical:
Still using DOpus though for every day use; I can't seem to get my mind set on learning how to do all the things I do in DOpus with XYplorer.
--- End quote ---
Same here. When I bought DOpus, XYplorer was single-pane or I might have had XYP as my main fm by now. I'm lazy enough that I don't want to learn all of the intricacies of another command set (though XYP continues to grow more interesting, and it's great to see DonL continually improving the piece). Like many of us here I have licenses for a bunch of fm's. I like them all but tend to stick to DOpus on my main machine (partly due to Amiga nostalgia, I expect). I'm sure that most of us have our favourites in many categories of software. I'm equally sure that not all of those reasons are entirely rational — nor should they be.

twinkler:
I run into something simple like the inability to open a zip archive as a folder and I am back in TC again :-[.
-Jibz (July 17, 2010, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
After reading about DOpus & XYplorer for years, I finally took advantage of the DC discount last month and bought XYplorer. I've been using Powerdesk for ten years, and in the last few years have tried out and quickly abandoned dozens of file managers, sticking with Powerdesk.

I guess I should have tried out XYplorer before buying it, but I wanted to cut through the procrastination and so I took a leap of faith. I was flabbergasted to quickly find out that XYplorer can't open a zip file as a file folder--countless other file managers can do this, including Powerdesk and many other free ones. To add to my dismay, when I brought this up in the XYplorer forum, DonL made it clear that he doesn't think this is an important feature to add, despite the fact that it's one of the most-requested features.

I work with zip files a lot and have become habituated to working with them in my file manager. I find the idea of having to use a separate archive manager after having just spent what is for me a lot of $ on a file manager to be really distasteful. For now at least, I'm back to Powerdesk.

DonL:
Hmm, this ZIP demand seems to get stronger recently. Can you point me to a free file manager that supports it? I have a couple of questions concerning the functionality and seeing the feature at work would easily answer all of them.

Don

4wd:
Hmm, this ZIP demand seems to get stronger recently. Can you point me to a free file manager that supports it? I have a couple of questions concerning the functionality and seeing the feature at work would easily answer all of them.-DonL (July 19, 2010, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

While not free, you can use DOpus for 60 days, fully functional, on a trial license   :mrgreen:

Otherwise, freecommander will let you Rename/Add/Delete/Quickview files within ZIP archives.

DonL:
Otherwise, freecommander will let you Rename/Add/Delete/Quickview files within ZIP archives.
-4wd (July 19, 2010, 02:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
And extract as well, I suppose?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version