ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (75/119) > >>

J-Mac:
Thanks for the info!

I guess one of my biggest problems was that I never saw any "Plug-in Manager". Every time I started having problems I would have to go around trying to find the plug-in pages for the ones I had (they didn't used to all be on one or two pages, but were kinda scattered all over the  place!). That was the only way to find out if they had become outdated. And a lot of times no one was maintaining the sites where I had gotten certain plug-ins, so it was really difficult to find out if my TC problems were related to specific plug-ins or not. And to be honest the forum help has been, well, let's say "spotty" at times in the past. Like, only getting sarcastic replies from experienced users who couldn't understand why anyone didn't know all that they did. I probably just caught a few a-holes on those occasions; all forums seem to have them!

Anyway I'll surf around a bot, though right now Directory Opus is pretty much covering all I need. Never know what I am missing though unless I keep looking!

Thanks again!

Jim

Innuendo:
I guess one of my biggest problems was that I never saw any "Plug-in Manager".-J-Mac (February 13, 2010, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

The plugin manager I referenced in my last post may be found here:

http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/tc_plugman.html

And if basic installing of plugins is all you are after usually just double-clicking on the zip of the plugin you want to install from within TC will walk you through installing it. Things have really come a long way from the good ol' days.

Every time I started having problems I would have to go around trying to find the plug-in pages for the ones I had (they didn't used to all be on one or two pages, but were kinda scattered all over the  place!).
--- End quote ---

I agree. It's a less than ideal setup. It's much the same situation as foobar2000 & its plugins.

Anyway I'll surf around a bot, though right now Directory Opus is pretty much covering all I need. Never know what I am missing though unless I keep looking!
--- End quote ---

Directory Opus is awesome. It's the most powerful Explorer-style file manager on the market today (although XYplorer is gaining ground). The only thing that keeps me from owning a license is the high buy-in price & the ridiculous pricing for version upgrades. There have been numerous complaints from long-time users that when a new version is released that they were only offered a 10% discount off retail to upgrade.

That's just a little too rich for my blood as I always like to be running the latest version of any apps I happen to be using. Total Commander's pricing is much more sane by comparison.

Thanks again!
--- End quote ---

Don't mention it. I enjoy learning new things, but I enjoy teaching what I know even more. TC is a DOS-style command structure connected to a near-Windows 3.1 interface. It's got an almost archaic, eldritch vibe going for it when compared to other file managers, but tweaked out it really soars and tasks can be completed much faster than with other file managers because everything has a keyboard shortcut & you rarely, if ever, have to take your fingers off the home row of keys.

kartal:
Nowadays my favorite is NDN(use with ConEmu), it is cross platform.

http://ndn.muxe.com/download/
http://code.google.com/p/conemu-maximus5/

Under Linux I like Gnome Commander, Midnight Commander and Krusader

Tuxman:
Looks like a valid replacement for the FAR Manager, thank you for the hint.  :up:

IL1keT0Donate:
Yesterday I happened to come across PikySuite which says it is an add-on to many explorer programs:

PikyBasket provides innovative ways of copying files in Windows.
PikyFolders lets you jump to your favorite folders very fast.
PikyTools are small utilities designed to boost your productivity.

Note: PikySuite integrates seamlessly with other 3rd party file managers, including Total Commander, Directory Opus, xplorer2, RecentX, XYPlorer, and ExplorerXP.

PikySuite runs on Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, (Both 32 bit & 64 bit)
--- End quote ---

This reminds me of a wonderful little program which worked on Win 95 thru to XP but sadly not Vista (or therefore Windows 7) called File-Ex v3.x written by CottonwoodSW dot com which integrated into Windows Explorer and acted in a similar manner to the very useful Dialog Tracker in ExplorerPlus. Both programs would remember the last x number of files/file names or folder locations etc and could be accessed through the save or open windows that the user had previously opened or saved files too.

Q. Does anyone know of any other 3rd party File & Folder trackers that intergrate into File Managers or File Explorers and work with both 32bit & 64bit versions of Windows XP, thru to Windows 7. :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version