ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (71/119) > >>

fenixproductions:
2X_FiLeS
TC did not start to be called differently. TC UP is still TC but with additional tools and plugins. You could have the same package done by yourself if you want to :)

Ultima took his own configuration and decided to share it with other people (with Ghisler's agreement of course).

Darwin:
The Novatix re-incarnation of PowerDesk that they dubbed Explorer Plus is without a doubt the most desirable version of the PowerDesk siblings.
-Innuendo (April 26, 2009, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Incidentally, I forgot to ask above (when posting the download link), what are the advantages of Explorer Plus 6.2 over the current PowerDesk version (7.x)?

Innuendo:
Incidentally, I forgot to ask above (when posting the download link), what are the advantages of Explorer Plus 6.2 over the current PowerDesk version (7.x)?
-Darwin (April 26, 2009, 01:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's been a while since I used either program as I'm a Total Commander devotee, but if I remember correctly there were a few bugs that Explorer Plus 6.2 fixed over PowerDesk Pro 6.0 when it was released. It wasn't anything major. I think it had to do with file listings and minor things like that.

However, when PowerDesk Pro 7 came out it fixed a couple bugs that were in Explorer Plus, but...didn't fix all the bugs that Explorer Plus had fixed over PD Pro v6 so you had to choose which bugs you wanted to deal with. No version released has fixed them all.

My absolute favorite feature of this family of products is the enlarged thumbnail of graphics files when you hover over the filenames with your mouse cursor. That's something I haven't figured out yet how to add to Total Commander.

Darwin:
Thanks, innuendo  :Thmbsup: I'm a DOpus devotee (but own a licence for TC and love it as well), so understand your position!

Innuendo:
You're a very unusual person, Darwin. Usually people either the DOpus way of doing things or the TC way of doing things, but not usually both.

DOpus had its origins on the Amiga & the odd thing about your post is that the Amiga version of DOpus was a really big inspiration for TC's author to bring that kind of power and customizability to the PC. What's odd is that TC is probably a closer relative of DOpus/Amiga than DOpus/PC and TC is probaby more true to the 'spirit' of that venerable program on the Amiga than its modern day descendant of the same name.

Back to PowerDesk Pro and Explorer Plus, for a minute...there's no possible way to find a retail copy of Explorer Plus anymore. Looking at the author's site seems to paint the story that Explorer Plus never existed. The trial you expertly tracked down is a poor substitute for the full product. Without delving too far into sketchy legalities I will say I just did a check and the 18.9 MB archive of the full retail product is up on a major P2P network.

However, I have to urge anyone who loves the PowerDesk way of doing things to take a good close look at Total Commander. It is, by far, the ugliest program on the face of the Earth when you first install it, but everything you see can be customized and changed even the menus so you could customize Total Commander to look and work exactly like PowerDesk Pro if it was one's inclination, but it is going to be a far more powerful program for file management than PowerDesk Pro ever was or most likely ever will be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version