ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (70/119) > >>

Ehtyar:
2Ehtyar
For me DC is definitely slower on files listing and coping. There is no thumbnails view, background transfer and QuickView yet. The rest are the things which are small but annoying for me.

To name a few:
- configuration dialog is about 1000x800px but in most of cases even half of it is not used;
- no ellipsis for files names if they are too long;
- many dialogues are wasting the space (i.e. Change button bar);
- in TC mouse's wheel scrolls entire panel, in DC - focused line is changed only;

There is no point in listing all of these. It is a fresh project after all and many things will change. I hope it will get better from UI side because for now it looks immature.
-fenixproductions (April 25, 2009, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Two of those are options you haven't found and the bug you mentioned in the beta release configuration panel, is fixed in the snapshots and not present in the stable release. But you are correct there is no elipsis or QuickView.

Ehtyar.

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Cmpm, good reference, I will add AC Browser Freeware above, my notes only had the paid edition, even though it is discussed right above. Yet as he says "The only difference is that the free version can't have more than 3 browse windows opened at a time" which is a feature that is often not in a file manager. I had recently noted that Konrad Papala has a good-looking scheduler, all his software seems well-done.

Also added:

Accelman, with some very positive reviews, now freeware.

Servant Salamander's last freeware version, available from the Altap site.

xplorer² — free version - from the author site.

PowerDesk Free, for some of us it was the original non-Explorer file manager. 

Pablo Commander

ExplorerXP

And added a note at bottom about pricing Total Commander for commercial purposes for comparison.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Innuendo:
Regarding PowerDesk & especially the Karma-D review on SnapFiles referenced by Steven Avery:

The Novatix re-incarnation of PowerDesk that they dubbed Explorer Plus is without a doubt the most desirable version of the PowerDesk siblings. As of the last published version v6.2 it had all of the bugs fixed that were/are in every other iteration of the product.

Unfortunately, Novatix axed the product and last time I checked they were focused on network security products & there's no way to buy the product. If the PowerDesk way of doing things is anyone's 'groove', so to speak then it'd be very advantageous for one to track down a copy of Explorer Plus v6.2.

Darwin:
If the PowerDesk way of doing things is anyone's 'groove', so to speak then it'd be very advantageous for one to track down a copy of Explorer Plus v6.2.
-Innuendo (April 26, 2009, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Download here!

X_FiLeS:
I have used a few File Managers but I prefer Total Commander which is now called " Total Commander Ultima Prime " and is the easiest to use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version