ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (63/119) > >>

Curt:
This one I hadn't heard about before: FileSurfer.

http://www.filesurfer.de/indexe.html freeware

Pictures: http://www.filesurfer.de/picturese.html

Windows 2000/XP/Vista(Beta)
requires DirectX9

FileSurfer is a new kind of file manager for Windows, which

* allows navigation through the file system solely by mouse movements without button clicks
    * stores the folder structure across multiple sessions
    * works without installation (also from USB sticks)
    * allows navigation in six tabs
    * shows up to four views simultaneously
    * works as UPnP control point
    * can hide rarely used folders
    * allows the concurrent selection of files in different folders
    * can open files in different applications with a single mouse click
    * can assign attributes to accelerate navigation
    * shows files and images simultaneously inside a folder
    * plays videos if VLC (www.videolan.org) is installed
    * uses multiple threads to profit from multi-core CPUs
    * can be controlled with the SpaceNavigator (www.3dconnexion.de)

(C)1999-2008 Alexander König
--- End quote ---
version 3.3, uploaded on July 5, 2008; 1.8 MB.

FileSurfer is freeware. Just unzip the application and click on filesurfer.exe. All configuration data is stored inside the created folder, FileSurfer does not copy dll's and does not create registry entries. To uninstall the application, simply delete the complete folder.

beta version 3.4, uploaded on November 9, 2008; 1.8 MB.
--- End quote ---
downloading now ;-)

Edited:

Tuning

Disable "Animated transitions", "Show shadows" and "Show background image" to increase the frame rate on slow systems.
(Mouse wheel up or Alt-key -> Preferences -> Display)
--- End quote ---

Darwin:
Thanks for pointing that one out, Curt. I tried it this time last year and kept it on my computer for a while. It didn’t survive the purges of the spring of ‘08, though!

I should add that I did use it a fair amount and actually never got on to the GUI conventions used... Just found it confusing. But, having just quoted this

Yes, there’s a learning curve. And if you insist on using those techniques you learned back in the last millennium with software that was designed differently, you will be frustrated. But I believe that an open-minded XP user who actually takes a few minutes to learn how the new UI works will be more productive very quickly. The secret is breaking old habits and developing new ones.
--- End quote ---

from Ed Bott in another thread re: Windows 7, I perhaps shouldn't have been so quick to judge it!

Curt:
The surfer is quite interesting, but seems to only be handy if the size of the visited folder is not too big. I pointed at My_Images (8.000 photos) and never saw the program again.

Curt:
- and yet another one I hadn't heard about before: Double Commander. However, as the previous one, this one is not too 'new' and not too often updated...: >>26.12.2007: First alpha release of Double Commander 0.3 alpha.< and >17.04.2008: Double Commander 0.3.5 alpha released!<< -and nothing since then! Will it even work with Vista? I don't know, the text doesn't specify.

http://doublecmd.sourceforge.net/

Double Commander is a cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.

Here are some key features of Double Commander:

* All operations working in background
    * Multi-rename tool
    * Tabbed interface
    * Custom columns
    * Internal text editor (F4)  with syntax hightlighting
    * Built in file viewer (F3) to view files of ANY SIZE in hex, binary or text format
    * Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR.
    * Extended  search function with full text search in any files
    * Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands
    * Total Commander WCX, WDX and WFX plug-ins support
    * File operations logging
    * And more...

--- End quote ---
What's your preferred File Manager

On one of their pages you can see what features are working or under development.

SleepingWolf:
Sorry to dig up this old subject again, but it is one of the most useful topics in a way as a very good filemanager can make so many other tools redundant. Are there any new developments in the field that would make it worth retaking the poll?

Anyway, regarding Opera and .mht files, I had Opera portable installed a while ago and moved it to another folder and had problems. I'm pretty happy with the installed Opera (except for webmail problems) and it saves .mht files as default. Strangely it also saves some webpages with associated folders (eg. xyz.mht with xyz_files folder) although it seems to have stopped that now. I thought the .mht file made these folders redundant? Any thoughts please?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version