ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (103/119) > >>

dcwul62:

There is nothing better than Directory Opus.

It isn't cheap, but it's worth every cent. It makes no sense to go into all the program details: they can be found on the GPSoft website.
A 60-day evaluation version is available, you donot want to have anything else after that.
For x64 machines, you always need to use the x64 version. I think the 32bit can't be installed.

If you are stuck with something, their forum gets you an answer to almost everything (Directory Opus wise that is).
You'll get unbelievably fast reply on questions. At least, that is my experience.

=

Innuendo:
I fail to see how the Alt+DC thing is too much of a problem as it is user-created. It's not like it is a stock configuration item out of the box. Regardless, the author is very receptive towards bug reports. Has anyone reported this bug to Jonathan? If so, what was his response?

Dcwulf62, you're right. DOpus isn't cheap, but I bought it when it was on sale for Christmas one year from their German reseller who also included the USB and FTP Advanced options for free. The only other file manager that rivals it is Total Commander, but its rabid user base will not allow its author to modernize it for the times so I regretfully had to move on.

You can install the 32-bit version on an x64 system, but then you have all the directory navigation problems that come with using a 32-bit program on a 64-bit version of Windows.

And yes, the DOPus resource forum is amazing. Chances are whatever you want to ask already has been asked and can be found with a quick search. On the rare times it isn't already answered, Leo is quick with a reply.

4wd:
I fail to see how the Alt+DC thing is too much of a problem as it is user-created. It's not like it is a stock configuration item out of the box.-Innuendo (December 10, 2013, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

But Control+DC is default for Properties out of the box and it exhibits the same bug.

Regardless, the author is very receptive towards bug reports. Has anyone reported this bug to Jonathan? If so, what was his response?
--- End quote ---

I posted on the DOpus Resource forum in Help & Support, which is their referred method.  Leo has confirmed the problem, so they're looking into it.

There is nothing better than Directory Opus. -dcwul62 (December 10, 2013, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I tend to agree, it's a matter of opinion/circumstance - if I have to install a filemanager on a relatives machine that doesn't entail spending money, then FreeCommander XE or A43 is the best  ;)

Tuxman:
There is nothing better than Directory Opus. -dcwul62 (December 10, 2013, 07:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

This was true until the "Vista-styled" versions were released which look bloated and a bit boring, no matter what you configure.

(Does dired count as a file manager? It is a serious competition to FAR Manager [which I also like as I stated a couple of years/pages ago].)

One tool, one purpose. Now what is the "one purpose" for file managers? Managing files? If so, it's actually sad that Proto development seems to have been halted.

Innuendo:
But Control+DC is default for Properties out of the box and it exhibits the same bug.-4wd (December 10, 2013, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

So it does...I just rarely have to look at properties of files in DOpus. When I start looking at the 'nitty gritty' stuff like that I'm prone to pop open a CLI window.

I posted on the DOpus Resource forum in Help & Support, which is their referred method.  Leo has confirmed the problem, so they're looking into it.
--- End quote ---

I'm sure it will get fixed then. Jonathan is a very competent programmer.

While I tend to agree, it's a matter of opinion/circumstance - if I have to install a filemanager on a relatives machine that doesn't entail spending money, then FreeCommander XE or A43 is the best  ;)

--- End quote ---

Yes, once you put the requirement of free on the table then the recommendations will change. FreeCommander XE is probably one of the most powerful free file managers available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version