ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (66/119) > >>

Darwin:
Just to note: DonL is busy working on XYPlorer 8, which will feature, amongst other things dual pane  :-*
-Darwin (March 05, 2009, 08:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's getting chilly here in Hell... ;D
-Lashiec (March 05, 2009, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

sometime I'm slow, I am intelligent FWIW but sometimes slow
let's see, "Hell" could be life without dual pane? ... but it's getting cold there ... :-\

reminds me of a postcard I bought once with two sillhouette devils drinking cocktails set against a very decorative brightly coloured wallpaper.
The caption at the bottom went "We're in Hell, it's great, there's even a disco!"
but hey ... watch out: it's getting cold there ;)
-tomos (March 06, 2009, 03:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just to be completely clear - I think that in the past Don has either explicitly stated or his statements have been interpreted as indicating that it "Will be a frosty Friday in Hell before xyplorer gets dual pane". That was my read on the original comment anyway... I know Don wasn't overly interested in adding dual pane support for a long time but have no idea if he ever said, or implied, the frosty Friday in Hell bit...  ;D

Shades:
Time to add a new one on the list of available explorer alternatives:
FlexTk   -  It comes in several flavors, one of them being free.

Seems to be really alternative when I look at the GUI pictures from the 110 page manual (PDF), which mentions also some interesting concepts of file management.

Outtake from the manual about the functionality in the software:
FlexTk is an advanced file management toolkit allowing one to search and classify files, scan file systems and apply rule-based, file organizing or data migration policies, synchronize files and directories, analyze storage utilization, copy large amounts of files in a fault-tolerant way, identify duplicate files and free-up wasted storage space. All file management operations are
available through a centralized and easy-to-use GUI application with a built-in file navigator
allowing one to execute any required command in a single mouse click.

--- End quote ---

or way more extensively:

Spoiler1.1 File Classification and Organizing
The FlexTk file management toolkit is capable of scanning disks, network shares and enterprise storage systems, classifying all the existing files and organizing them into a categorized file hierarchy. FlexTk automatically recognizes more than 2000 file types and allows one to browse or export the categorized file hierarchy, perform various actions on specific files or file groups and physically reorganize existing files according to a user-defined list of rules and policies. The FlexTk’s built-in Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) engine allows one to define multiple HSM policies and apply them simultaneously during a single pass through one or more file systems.

1.2 Advanced, Rule-Based File Search
FlexTk provides powerful and flexible file search capabilities allowing one to search files using multiple search criteria including the file name, file type, file size, access/modification/creation times, text or binary patterns, etc. The user is provided with the ability to define composite search queries using multiple search rules and apply the AND/OR logical operators. Frequently used search queries may be saved  in  the predefined search  list  and executed  in a single
mouse click.

1.3 Multi-Stream File Synchronization
The FlexTk file management toolkit provides advanced file synchronization capabilities allowing one to synchronize files between directories, local disks and network shares. The FlexTk’s built-in file synchronization engine offers numerous one-way and two-way file synchronization modes, rule-based file matching capabilities and advanced performance tuning options. Frequently used file synchronization operations may be pre-configured as user-defined commands and executed in a single mouse click. Moreover, FlexTk allows one to create desktop shortcuts for user-defined file synchronization commands and execute them directly from the Windows desktop without the need to start the main FlexTk GUI application.

1.4 Real-Time Disk Monitor
FlexTk Ultimate includes a built-in disk monitor capable of detecting file creations, modifications, attribute changes and deletions in real-time. The real-time disk monitor provides the user with the ability to monitor one or more disks, directories or network shares and detect all changes made in the monitored file systems. In addition, the user is provided with the ability to specify conditional real-time actions capable of executing FlexTk’s user-defined commands, custom commands,  scripts or batch files.

1.5 File Copy and Data Migration
The FlexTk file management toolkit provides a large number of advanced multi-stream file copy and rule-based data migration capabilities allowing one to copy vast amounts of files fast, efficiently and reliably. FlexTk allows one to copy files  including access control lists (ACLs), security attributes, ownership information, timestamps and file attributes.
The user is provided with a large number of flexible copy performance tuning and fault tolerance options allowing one to copy data at various speeds, recover failed copy operations and minimize the potential impact on running production systems. The data migration engine is especially optimized for modern hardware platforms and capable of effectively  utilizing powerful RAID controllers, multi-CPU/multi-core servers and Gigabit Ethernet networks.

1.6 Storage Utilization Analysis
Overtime, disks on home computers and enterprise storage systems collect outdated files wasting storage space and making it difficult to find the required information. The FlexTk file management toolkit provides advanced storage utilization analysis capabilities allowing one to analyze one or more local disks or network shares, identify abnormal storage utilization
patterns and automatically execute (FlexTk Ultimate Only) user-defined actions. In addition, the user is provided with the ability to browse files and directories sorted by the used storage space, identify disk utilization hotspots and export storage utilization reports into a number of standard formats such as HTML, Excel CSV and ASCII text.

1.7 Duplicate Files Finder
FlexTk’s built-in duplicate files finder provides a large number of advanced features and capabilities allowing one to identify and cleanup duplicate files on personal computers and enterprise storage systems. In addition, ower users and IT professionals are provided with policy-based duplicate files detection and removal capabilities (FlexTk Ultimate only) allowing one to define custom duplicate files detection and removal commands and execute them in a fully unattended, automatic mode.

1.8 User-Defined Commands
The FlexTk file management toolkit is a powerful and flexible product providing a large number of features, capabilities and configuration options allowing one to perform many different file and storage management operations. In order to simplify  management and execution of frequently used operations, FlexTk provides the user with the ability to add user-defined
commands. All major product features such as file search, classification, organizing, synchronization, copy, move, delete,  storage utilization analysis, duplicate files search and disk monitoring may be added as user-defined commands and pre-configured for user-specific needs and custom hardware configurations.

1.9 Built-In Disk Cleaner
All Internet browsers and many popular online applications are using the local hard disk to cache web pages, images and video files. Information from visited web sites is stored in your Internet  browser's ache, wasting your storage space and  compromising your  privacy. In general, it is a good practice to cleanup your hard disk once a month. The FlexTk file
management toolkit includes a built-in disk cleaner allowing one to cleanup the disk and reclaim wasted storage space.

1.10 File Management and Navigation
The FlexTk file management toolkit is integrated around a unique file navigator providing advanced file system navigation capabilities, location bookmarks and file filters. The FlexTk' built-in file navigator allows one to execute any required operation in a single mouse click.

--- End quote ---

rgdot:
I think its been mentioned but is still a relative unknown. I really like Ac Browser Plus especially how well it handles archives or at least zip files.

kartal:
I do not think that is being developed anymore.

I think its been mentioned but is still a relative unknown. I really like Ac Browser Plus especially how well it handles archives or at least zip files.
-rgdot (March 07, 2009, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

gorinw13:
xplorer2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version