ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (6/119) > >>

Josh:
Has anybody used *any* file manager, then gone back to explorer?
I mean, I'm having trouble seeing DC users that actually like explorer :)

Actually, can you post your evolution if you switched? I like those. I went explorer -> dopus (with DC discount -> TC (horrified by dopus upgrade fees, I found nirvana in TC)
-urlwolf (September 13, 2007, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have switched back. I don't like any of the other file managers, besides dopus (but I refuse to pay the upgrade costs the author feels he has to charge), because none of them can intercept calls to shell execution commands (Start - run, shellex, etc) and open THOSE in a window like DOpus can. So for me, I have switched back to Vista's version of explorer for the sheer reason that it works, it works well, and I dont have to "pay" to get it upgraded. I can always extend it with freely available software and dont have to pay an upgrade fee. Yes, some will now claim "But you pay when you upgraded to vista", but I cant concur with that logic. I paid for a new OS, not the explorer portion.

But anyways, I would use DOPus as it was given to me as a gift (Thanks KenR), but like I said, the prices the author charges for UPGRADES isn't justified with the "benefits" I gain from using it or from upgrading.

Darwin:
Josh - are you not using Dopus out of protest over their upgrade fees/you have DOpus 8 but run Vista/to avoid being tempted to upgrade at those prices in the future because you HAVE to upgrade (the next time windows is changed to the point that it breaks third party apps)? I'm just working it through... Lots of people are still using DOpus 6 with XP happily - the authors really do aim for as close to perfection as they can get, so the last point release of a major release is usually AWESOME. Example, my wife is still running DOpus 8 while I am running 9. I feel right at home using her computer and half the time wonder why I rushed to upgrade! Anyway, if you have a licence for version 9 you'll be able to use it for YEARS - until MS releases another version of Windows that requires software to be rewritten to run under it. The last time this happened was when they rolled out Win95 so 12 years ago (I guess a few legacy apps got stranded by XP so you could argue that it was closer to 6 years, but still). Anyway, I *think* I understand why you are not using DOpus, but I think you can use it without worry! By the time the next version of Windows that breaks third party software ships you will have gotten your money out of your current version of Dopus and might not mind paying to upgrade at that point. Of course, too, Windows Explorer will have changed too, maybe to the point that you won't miss Dopus at that point.

boxstar:
I wonder why SPEED COMMANDER is not among the top three. XYplorer, Speed Commander and Total Commander are all great tools!

Darwin:
I wonder why SPEED COMMANDER is not among the top three. XYplorer, Speed Commander and Total Commander are all great tools!
-boxstar (September 14, 2007, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Probably because I gave everyone the option of selecting multiple file managers instead, so people like JohnFrankC only had the option of voting once (for the "variety" option) instead of for each individual app. I sort of regret this now, but can't change it (just checked!). This will still give us an interesting look at FM useage. With that in mind:

If you select "other" please post and let us know what alternative you are using. The list is by no means comprehensive!

Josh:
Darwin,

DOpus 9 has features geared towards vista. While DOpus 8 might work in vista, its not designed for native use and as such isnt optimized to the way vista works. If I want a version which is fully suited to Vista, I have to upgrade, which means paying the ridiculous fee for something I won't utilize anywhere nears its potential. I loved opus in XP, but for Vista, the usage is the same however there are many nicities in Vista's Explorer that I love and dont see in DOpus8. The costs to upgrade versus the usefulness I've seen from the trial arent justifiable. That, and for the $60 I spend on an UPGRADE to Dopus, I could buy 2 or 3 licenses of other file managers which give me a better bang for my buck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version