ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (36/119) > >>

Darwin:
That was kind of frightening, actually. I initially bumped each choice down and inserted Power Desk after AB Commander. That resulted (obviously with hindsight) in Power Desk having 17 votes and Variety is the Spice of Life none! As mentioned earlier, I wish I could retro-actively enable the "allow user to change vote" option... I'm DEFINITELY in the Variety camp now (though in fairness I do use DOpus 9 by default and especially when I'm in a hurry (because I know what I am doing with it).

J-Mac:
Grrr...  I am about to give XYplorer a try.  DOpus is driving me nuts with the Context menu!  [Caution - Major Childish Rant]

I have been using the DOpus context menu instead of the Windows one, mainly because I have so many extraneous items on the Windows Context menu.  (Darned programs that silently place one, two, or six items there without asking!).  I recently decided to go back to the Windows menu, however, because there are a few items that I often need and I cannot find out how to add them to DOpus's menu.  Their "tutorial" gives a basic "you can do it" but doesn't explain how very well.

But now I remember why I had to ditch the Windows menu to start with: In DOpus it can take as long as a full minute to open!?!?  Back when I first got DOpus I figured I must be doing something very wrong, but there are quite a few posts about this on their forum, so it's not just me.

Today I needed to rename a handful of photos, and as soon as I right-clicked on the first one in DOpus and started waiting, and then remembered about the delay.....  Man that takes long!! Why is that? Anyone know?  And no - it is not network shares taking that long. I already disabled them trying to speed things up - didn't happen. In Windows Explorer you can double-click slowly on a filename to rename it: One click, then another after a very short delay. But I can't do that in DOpus.  Or to be correct, I can't do that on image files in DOpus - others I can. Image files want to open in a viewer - no matter the speed or delay of the double-click.  After two renames - there were only about 5 or 6 so I didn't want to open BRU to do it - I got fed up and decided to open Total Commander to rename them.

Yep - Total Commander...  Haven;t opened this since I got DOpus.  Oops! Forgot, right-clicking is a no-no in TC.  OK.... Let's see......  How in the HECK do I rename files in TC???!!?  Of course I did remember after all - but not until I opened the Help file and got to that page.  Seems we just can't remember this stuff until we go through the trouble of looking up the Help topic - and then remember it without having to read the Help topic!!!

Anyway I got all renamed, but not without some heartburn obviously!  But I then sat there and started to wonder why I hadn't decided to try going with Total Commander full time.  After all, I have had the license for a lot of years.  Then I tried to customize it a bit and remembered just how different he has configured TC from the rest of the crowd!  OK, there are always bound to be some differences in how developers think when they design their own version of a relatively common software type.  But where in the world did Christian pull some of these commands and menu structures from?? I could swear I saw our local community college offering an advanced certificate course - 65 continuing education credits - on "Setting Up, Understanding, and Working With Total Commander".  (Caution - bring your own pillow; There WILL BE much banging of your head on walls)"!!

Can it get much more difficult with XYPlorer??  Nosh??

Jim

Dormouse:

Today I needed to rename a handful of photos, and as soon as I right-clicked on the first one in DOpus and started waiting, and then remembered about the delay.....  Man that takes long!! Why is that? Anyone know? 
-J-Mac link=topic=9958.msg97787#msg97787
--- End quote ---

This is not a problem I understand. Images don't try to open when I right-click on them and there is no delay before I can rename them. Network drives present too. What aren't I understanding?

tomos:
I've heard of the slow context menu J-Mac - had it to a certain extent on my last computer (the longer the install the worse it got..) but never that bad
Would drive me mad alright :tellme:

Re changing filenames for a series of files, a good trick in DOpus is:-
Select file
Press F2
Name part gets selected - rename
DONT press return -
Press down arrow and next file is selected, editable and ready for rename
and so on down the list

I presume you know that when filename is editable, that right arrow brings you to end of name but before the dot, for adding suffix:
Filename|.ext
Left arrow brings you to beginning of name

That problem with images is extremely odd - all images ?? 
Have you reported it as a bug?
What's your default viewer? - have you changed it lately ?
(I ask cause I had problems after setting ExifPro as default viewer :-\ - but not like that problem..)

Darwin:
I have the context menu problem in DOpus 9 as well but completely the reverse of J-Mac's problem (which is odd). If I disable Windows Explorer entries from displaying in the DOpus context menu it takes up to 15 seconds for the Context Menu to appear. If I leave the default settings in place and have both appear, the context menu appears instanteously.

There IS a way to invoke the context menu in TC, Jim, and people keep posting to tell me how to do it... I keep forgetting, though  :-[ Drives me batty as well...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version