ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Mouser's Zone

IDEA - Webpage archiving

<< < (5/6) > >>

tsaint:
I'll chime in with a positive for net snippets.
I've variously used netsnippets, surfulator, local website archive and evernote.
I have "dumped" stuff into evernote, but its sort of like chucking stuff down a garbage shute for me. Info disappears, never to be seen again. I keep thinking its time to delete it, but don't seem to get around to it.
Maybe having a tree in my face with the others gives me reminders of things and provides some sort of context.

I used LWA and found it good for when I wanted to grab a web page which I massaged into a different form in an html editor. Wish I could remember now why I chucked it before the others.

I use surfulator more than netsnippets (cos it cost me, rather than free, maybe) but netsnippets has caused me less hassles. Sometimes I haven't been able to grab a page using surfulator, where netsnippets has been able to. Not the other way around though.

I don't understand the "bloated" bit re netsnippets. The interface isnt bloated, in fact I'd say its a lot simpler and leaner than surfulator (which I'm not knocking btw)
To my mind, netsnippets (freeware version) doesn't try to do too much and over extend itself, and has a leaner appearance and feel to it.
Surfulator is supposedly using 48mb on my computer, I doubt netsnippets is, if thats what's meant be bloated.
tony

iphigenie:
A couple of the outliners tools can capture the URL a piece of information came from when you copy from a web page - and keep the link etc. Ultrarecall is one that can both keep live links and snapshots.

So did Webideatree, whizfolders, and I think taonotes has that... probably more And some clipboard tools but i don't remember which off the top of my head. (checking the site before i wrote that to make sure they still kind of exist, i think i'll give those three another try!)

Actually LWA does allow you to edit the files you snap, but I mostly use it to clean up unnecessary parts of the pages. It's meant as a researc archive and organise tool, but not as a writing/thinking tool. I use it because it supports opera and email clients and is not therefore tied to one browser, which most of the others are.

patteo:
two that come to mind immediately:
netsnippets - http://www.netsnippets.com/
-mouser (September 26, 2005, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looks good but Pro version is quite expensive and the free/standard versions look a little limited in some ways. Going to have a play with this one though.
-Carol Haynes (September 26, 2005, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Carol, Try this for a discount of US$50 for the pro version. I only just started reading this thread so the discount may be too late for some. Also, I'm assuming that it works for IE too since Maxthon is IE based.

This Maxthon "Introductory" discount has been around for maybe 2 to 3 years when I first looked at but did not purchase Netsnippets.

http://www.netsnippets.com/myie2/order.asp

Carol Haynes:
Thanks for the info but if you look back I started this thread in 2005 and bought a copy of the Pro version back then for half price.

I must say the one thing I am not impressed with is the lack of any active development. In the last two years there have been no updates at all and their extension for Firefox doesn't support recent versions (though it does seem to work if you just ignore version checkeing when you install it or update Firefox). This is very annoying for a piece of software that is really quite expensive.

Curt:
netsnippets - http://www.netsnippets.com/ -mouser (September 26, 2005, 04:20 AM)
--- End quote ---
-Carol Haynes (September 26, 2005, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
-patteo (February 28, 2007, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info but if you look back I started this thread in 2005 and bought a copy of the Pro version back then for half price.

I am not impressed with is the lack of any active development. In the last two years there have been no updates at all -Carol Haynes (February 28, 2007, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

NetSnippets are gone; now its eSnips Uploader toolbar + 5GB free storage!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version