ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VirtualBox - An Open Source Virtual Machine

(1/3) > >>

Eóin:
Hi, I know it's not usually the done thing the report on every little update to an app but VirtualBox has added so much since it was last mentioned here that I felt it deserved a bump.

Specifically version 1.5 has added support for Vista x64 as a host OS and with new features like clipboard sharing and seamless window it is now really easy to use it as a safe place to test an application while still working primarily from the host OS. Check it out.

VirtualBox - An Open Source Virtual Machine

Tekzel:
I have used VMWare pretty extensively since they made it free, and also Microsoft VirtualPC.  This is a class of software that the average computer user doesn't really need often, but maybe they should.  I like the Browser Appliances that people make up for VMWare for browsing questionable sites.  It really does protect the host PC unlike anything else. There are many other uses, I use VMs for testing software I don't really trust.

VirtualBox, I almost passed over today thinking "Eh, I have VMWare".  I am glad I didn't.  First, its very light weight compared to the others.  Second, it has some features the others don't.  Nice ones too!  Like the arbitrary sizing of the window and guest display settings.  Really detailed USB support is another.  Also, folder sharing with the host without setting up networking.

I am very impressed with this application.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention one of the best features.  The ability to do multiple snapshots of the guest and restore any of them independent of the others.  THIS feature I intend to test this weekend.  If it works as advertised, that would be great.

Gothi[c]:
Awesome! thanks for sharing this, I didn't know about this one :)

Lusher:
I know of this one. But is the snapshot manager as good as the one in vmware workstation?

sword:
Discussions online in the last month suggest that ReactOS [ 0.3.3 alpha] can work in VirtualBox.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version