ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

VirtualBox - An Open Source Virtual Machine

<< < (2/3) > >>

masu:
Is VirtualBox better than VirtualPC 2007?

jgpaiva:
On earlier versions, i prefered VirtualBox, because VirtualPC had the "home" key hardcoded, thus, i've been using VirtualBox ever since.
There's a big BUT, though.. I still counldn't make the "shared folders" feature work (windows 64 host OS and linux guest OS here, not sure if that makes any difference). But USB works well, and i've been using that instead.

Curt:
Here is a cousin, so to speak - though still BETA:

Ulteo Virtual Desktop: your Linux applications on Windows

Enjoy the power of your Linux applications on Windows without the need to reboot!

With Ulteo Virtual Desktop, you just have to run the application you need to use from the Ulteo panel and its window will show up like any other Windows application.

Ulteo Virtual Desktop is free.

Download now
A full Linux system that integrates nicely into Windows

You save time because you can have both Windows and Linux applications integrated into a single desktop. Additionally, the Ulteo Virtual Desktop is a safe and virus-free place. It will even self-upgrade regularly with latest version of the system and its applications.

It's been designed for individuals and corporate users who need to use both Linux and Windows applications within the same desktop environement.
Which applications are supported?

A full range of Linux applications are supported in the standard version.

At the moment, you will find a selection of applications that include:

* Firefox web browser enabled with Flash & Java
    * The full OpenOffice.org office suite that can deal with your MS Office documents
    * KPdf to deal with your PDF documents
    * Kopete: the multi-Instant Messaging software that supports MSN and other protocols
    * Thunderbird + Enigmail (so you can encrypt your emails!)
    * Gimp and Digikam to manage your pictures
    * Inkscape and Scribus to create great graphics and newspapers
    * and... many others!

From the Ulteo "My Digital Life" panel, you can add new "application balls", such as additional desktop application, games and soon development applications! It's very easy to add or remove and always leave a clean system.
--- End quote ---

http://www.ulteo.com/home/en/virtualdesktop
http://www.freewaregenius.com/2008/06/25/ulteo-virtual-desktop-run-a-virtual-linux-environment-inside-windows/

y0himba:
I use this daily.  The maker's name always reminds me of the company in "Office Space".  I like this much better than VMware or Microsoft's VM.

kartal:
I have tried Ulteo andit really worked very well inside Xp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version