ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Opera - new alpha version brings untold pleasures...or something like that.

<< < (6/11) > >>

Josh:
That comment wasn't directed directly at torrent support. I merely listed torrent support as an example of how they add a feature and have yet to expand it. My comment was more aimed towards roboform. You are limited to using the wand or you don't have much of a choice otherwise. Am I wrong in this arena? Can you in fact use roboform or any other form filler/password manager with opera? Yes, keepass works, but that is more something sending keystrokes to the browser, not a true form filler since it cant gather field names to determine what values to fill in each field.

Anyways, when it comes to irc, again, this isn't what my comment was directed at. I don't use email or IRC from opera because they are, in my opinion, substandard, more difficult to use, and don't belong in a browser suite (Mozilla realized this, and as such the Mozilla suite is basically being eliminated).

Your pointing out the spell checkers reinforces my point that a more suitable API or plug-in based system is required so that you don't have to jump through hoops to get features like this to work. I would love to use my auto-complete utility to fill in where opera fails to add a feature (Auto-complete is another highly requested feature, and no, notes isn't an acceptable alternative since I don't want to type every possible auto-complete or web address into a note field). This again, is an example of where a user should be able to grow the browser as their own without having to resort to only what the developers add to the browser.

Laughing Man:
One thing I don't like though is how they default their program to opening the protocal with their client (until you change it in the browser). Clicking on torrents would cue a prompt asking me if I wanted to download it with Opera (their prompt). It took a while before I figured out how to set it in the browser to automatically make it open in utorrent or Ktorrent.

And cool, I'm running the Alpha besides the current released version. Interesting seeing the differences.

Dirhael:
That comment wasn't directed directly at torrent support. I merely listed torrent support as an example of how they add a feature and have yet to expand it. My comment was more aimed towards roboform. You are limited to using the wand or you don't have much of a choice otherwise. Am I wrong in this arena? Can you in fact use roboform or any other form filler/password manager with opera? Yes, keepass works, but that is more something sending keystrokes to the browser, not a true form filler since it cant gather field names to determine what values to fill in each field.

Anyways, when it comes to irc, again, this isn't what my comment was directed at. I don't use email or IRC from opera because they are, in my opinion, substandard, more difficult to use, and don't belong in a browser suite (Mozilla realized this, and as such the Mozilla suite is basically being eliminated).

Your pointing out the spell checkers reinforces my point that a more suitable API or plug-in based system is required so that you don't have to jump through hoops to get features like this to work. I would love to use my auto-complete utility to fill in where opera fails to add a feature (Auto-complete is another highly requested feature, and no, notes isn't an acceptable alternative since I don't want to type every possible auto-complete or web address into a note field). This again, is an example of where a user should be able to grow the browser as their own without having to resort to only what the developers add to the browser.
-Josh (September 04, 2007, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Opera supports Aspell for spell checking out of the box though so I wouldn't call it jumping through anything to get that done though ;)

Also, both the email and IRC client are both tripple A products in my eyes, for my use of course. Anyway, I see nothing wrong in wanting support for something like extensions of plugins. Still, I would best like to see this discussion taking place in some other topic as nothing good can come out of it.

tinyvillager:

Anyone know if this build supports the new Silverlight that went final today,i'm lazy.That and holding off til beta.

nontroppo:
Yes, silverlight is supported - the problem is many silverlight demos use browser sniffing so it looks like it doesn't work...

jgpaiva: the inline find is a known bug that is targetted for fixing, so it will once again work out of the box.

For an alpha it is very solid - make sure you don't install over an old profile (it won't by default) and you are good to go.

For those interested in performance, I made a summary, mostly aimed at comparison with 9.x focussed on Web 2ish peformance but threw other browsers into the mix:

http://nontroppo.org/timer/kestrel_tests/ <- URL Fixed ;-)

There is a lot to digest in the changelogs. For developers, there is a TON of cool new technology to play with, and some stuff like using SVG just as any other image format that is long overdue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version