ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GemX - missing in action

<< < (64/77) > >>

PPLandry:
No need to apologize. I understood, it's actually Pierre's words that it's free, but he means that it's free to use now, while we shareware veteran users still call it trial :)

Actually I downloaded about two times months ago, and it never worked on my system. This is the first build that works for me, and it already looks way more complete than the older ones. It's very powerful but also steep learning curve. I'm a happy UltraRecall user, no need to change, but SQLNotes might be hard to resist (the inner child needs to play).
-tamasd (January 12, 2008, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I tend to write: free while in beta... which does translate to a trial with an undetermined end date  ;)

Glad to see that it runs on your system. I'm not very well versed in URp [edit] I purchased it but did not find the time to really try it out. I do follow the forums though to learn the "terminology" [/edit], but other URp users have mentioned that once the SQLNotes underlying concept is understood (basically the same as Ecco Pro + some additions of my own), it is easier to grasp than URp, simpler. But again, this is not my own experience, but only what others have said.

KenR:
Armando and tamasd,

Thanks very much for the input. I've used Martin's software before and loved it. I had not tried notebook though. I don't want anything fancy. I don't want to write notes in database or I would use OneNote (which I adore). I just want to edit text files with some formatting. So Notebook might be perfect for me.

I just got interested in TextNote Pro because it looked like it would work with my notebook pc's pen, which so few programs will. So I got all excited about it. The need/desire though is much simpler and I won't likely edit with my pen. If I get interested in doing that, I do have a few programs.

I've downloaded and installed Notebook Pro. Maybe Martin will see the discussion and send me some great big discount code or something  ;)

Edit - Oops, I had forgotten that Martin already gave us a 50% discount code, valid until the end of Jan, in honor of our upcoming fundraiser. Act now everyone!

Thanks again guys.
Take care, Ken

Josh:
IMPORTANT NOTE: do-Organizer default installation directory has changed from ie. C:\Program Files\Gemx\doOrganizer to C:\Gemx\doOrganizer. If you are installing it to version 3.1 default location please remember to copy your licence key to the new do-Organizer default installation location after finishing the installation. Otherwise do-Organize will run in TRIAL mode.
--- End quote ---

This, imho, is retarded. NO APPLICATION SHOULD INSTALL TO C:\. Not in the modern day and age. Program files exists for a reason, as a single place for installed applications. GemX just made a very big bonehead move.

PPLandry:
This, imho, is retarded. NO APPLICATION SHOULD INSTALL TO C:\. Not in the modern day and age. Program files exists for a reason, as a single place for installed applications. GemX just made a very big bonehead move.
-Josh (January 13, 2008, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I suspect that they had problems with getting their app Vista compatible and instead of making significant changes, decided to get out of the Program files folder altogether. But this is pure speculation on my part (I was also shocked when I read that).

SKesselman:
This, imho, is retarded. NO APPLICATION SHOULD INSTALL TO C:\. Not in the modern day and age. -Josh (January 13, 2008, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Josh,
When I got Vista last summer, I had to reinstall InfoSelect to C:\, after installing it to Program Files and realizing *nothing* was saving.

I was told that Vista does not allow most programs written prior to Vista to write data to C:\Program Files.

I haven't had any problems with this installation. I just installed do-Organizer to C:\, as well.
Forgive my ignorance, but is there some particular reason why this is bad?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version