ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GemX - missing in action

<< < (46/77) > >>

datamill:
Armando,

You're right, of course.  The passion of users around ECCO and DO as organizers is pretty remarkable. 

Josh:
Firefox anyone? Linux anyone? Mac Evangelists anyone?

Beth UK:
The passion of users around ECCO and DO as organizers is pretty remarkable. 
-datamill (October 21, 2007, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is quite remarkable - but I guess the scope and depth of software like Ecco or DO means that people 'embed' more of themselves into it. DO contains a journal, notes, reminders, contacts, email and many other products of our daily lives. Users put more of themselves into this software in very real ways, trusting its security and longevity. It becomes a 'virtual' container for organization and lifestyle, and may explain the depth of emotional attachment. The more you put in, the harder it becomes to -re-attach to something else (another program). So, in trusting so much personal information to a single piece of software you are also forming a trust relationship with the developers also - a relationship which, if it goes sour, can create feelings almost touching on rejection.

End hypothesis...  8)

Armando:
Users put more of themselves into this software in very real ways, trusting its security and longevity.-Beth UK (October 21, 2007, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
[slightly off-topic]
That's one reason why I tried to find out what is that "internal industrial strength GemX DobermanDB™ database engine". Any DO-O user can help me with that one?[/slightly off-topic]

zak11000:
I think you may have a point Beth although I wouldnt go as far as calling it a "rejection". But I agree that its more the fact that you spent a lot of time transferring your personal information into the product and replacing other software with it - and you spent a lot of time getting used to the product. So it becomes a part of your daily life because so much of your personal information has been transferred. And you wouldn't have done that if you didn't feel you could rely on the stability and long-livity of the product and integrity of the developers. Then things happen and you find otherwise. Of course you are going to be pissed off... I think if any of the developers of any of the more well known PIMs just dissapeared without an explanation for months their users would be just as angry. Dont think is a do-Organizer specific situation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version