ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GemX - missing in action

<< < (43/77) > >>

doublewitt:
I can't say for sure but I think Doublewitt was just questioning the value of publicly 'dismantling' (listing all the libraries etc used) another developers software in open forum at the same time as promoting a competitors software.

I am sure the Helpmaker application discussion would benefit from its own thread away from the many mixed feelings that are plainly felt in connection to the GemX situation.

Just a thought.-Beth UK (October 17, 2007, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Kindly,

No offense either from my end, I just find that approach about GemX a bit rough. Yes, I was kinda being serious and funny at the same time... Anyways, they are going through a rough time - why make it worse for them? Generally, I think that software developers should be careful about how they refer to one another in the public arena. If you want to win clients to your software project, don't degrade or devalue other projects... I think that's just simple common sense. Otherwise, it opens the door to misunderstandings... I don't want to give the impression that I'm totally defending Gemx, though it might seem that way, but it's more an issue for defending principles...

Yes, I believe it's a good idea for Sally to introduce her software officially in this thread:

Announce it here

doublewitt:
let me give you a more general example.

suppose you buy a programming library. it costs US$2,000 to license. it comes with all the features you needed and the vendor's web-pages tell of many success stories. you buy it, and then start to integrate it into your program. All seems to goes well until you start getting complaints... the library vendor supports you a little and then, later ignores you... you get stuck with a nightmare situation: you tell your boss you spent US$2,000 and need to buy another library to fix the probem, or try to fix the library a bit here and a bit there, and try to please your customer.-vizacc (October 17, 2007, 12:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tips.
Seeing "we" are not programmers, its interesting to know about these issues. It gives us more insight about the complications developers face in their jobs... I always thought how "cool" it would be if developers would help us understand more... maybe that way, we could stand behind them and not always immediately assume other things... If they would "talk" to us more, like that [above quote], we could be more understanding and assist them with more meaningful attitudes.

PPLandry:
If they would "talk" to us more, like that [above quote], we could be more understanding and assist them with more meaningful attitudes.
--- End quote ---
I think that Sally and I are more than willing to talk to non-programmers!

I personnally do not share her point of view on using off-the-shelf components. I think that if you choose your components wisely, you tap into the work of others to come up with a product which would not be possible otherwise. Wanting to re-invent the world is something that, I as a programmer, am not interested in doing. Of course that means dealing with some component bugs, finding work-arounds, putting pressure on the manufacturer to fix more important issues. But the end-result can be quite impressive. I think that SQLNotes is a good example of the combination of just the right components to come up with a truly unique product.

I've just completed a proposal for a vehicle fleet management software using SQLNotes (see image below), others use it for CRM, others as a PIM. Such flexibility comes from the unique design AND the components features that were chosen.

doublewitt:
I can see there are people here that are willing to forgive them and forget - I'm not one of them.-zak11000 (October 16, 2007, 04:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I guess, I'm going to contradict the common trend. For the past 8 years, I've searched and have been through all the hassles you could imagine on the NET - and I think everybody knows what I mean (surfing, reading, downloads, installs, uninstalls, forums, start, and restart, etc. [not to mention what that does to your system]). The truth is, I have never seen anything like do-O and I mean NOTHING! Their work is so talented and creative and they delivered a good software that I can say has a touch of class. Look, let's face it, despite things, do-O is outstanding. And I know that for now, there is no other to match the inspiration behind do-O. I don't care what you tell me. You can criticize me, ridicule me, and whatever, but look, it doesn't really matter. I'm sticking it out with them. I think they deserve it. You watch, maybe within the next 6 months, things will shape up. Needless to say, I've been through endless ordeals with almost every developer - I really don't think that anyone out there is perfect. But I do honestly think that no one deserves it like GemX does - regardless. There's not one thing anyone here can say to change my mind. I still think that GemX will continue to out-do others. They have enough talent to do so. They have done an outstanding job! I believe in them and I really think that they will come through...

Darwin:
I'm not sure what to write here - I almost wrote from the same conflicted perspective yesterday (or the day before, after reading Peter Brooks' comments on the origins and fate of the forum as posted by Ron) - I feel a bit confllicted. I"ve accomplished two of my three goals, which were to get GemX to communicate with its customers (via its website - accomplished), to get GemX to communicate directly with me regarding my concerns about the state of Do-Organizer (dismal failure - all I wanted was some reassurance that the product was going to continue to be developed and supported), and three to obtain a refund while I could in the event that objective two failed (accomplished). I would far rather have continued to have been a Do-Organizer user/customer. I feel that in pursuing my third goal, I accomplished the first. Perhaps I give myself too much credit...

The conflicted perspective? I didn't want this to turn out like this. I agree with doublewitt - the product has huge potential and I hope GemX can put this episode behind them and realise that potential. I'm on the fence at the moment WRT whether or not I'll be along for the ride. I do feel that they've got their work cut out for them in managing the fallout from the past three months, but hope that they are able to do so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version