ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GemX - missing in action

<< < (24/77) > >>

doublewitt:
It's now Thursday, and still nothing...??!!! :tellme:

What can you do with pims, outliners, and notes managers... in this world of differing opinions and needs? What's useless to one is paramount to another... it gets difficult sometimes...

In general, I think that the developer world has disappointed us somehow. It's such a struggle on the net to find the suitable app for most. I've been through plenty enough myself. Are they really in-touch with the needs of clients? I wonder sometimes. In all cases, developments are so slow. I figure that in 2007, we should have been confronted with loads more APPS and interesting developments. When you think of how long computers have been out there, - and you are still looking for the suitable notes APP - good grief, when will this torture end? It's true, that there is lots of junk out there that only considers a "tiny" aspect of notes management, and many available APPS have a last update recorded in 2004, 2005, 2006... In the past, I spent most of my time "waiting", "downloading", "installing", "requesting", "uninstalling", over and over again instead of organizing!!! It became such a distraction. Manytimes, I thought of hitting the "off" button on my computer and going back to the standard paper & pencil routine. Developers are just not turning me "ON" somehow.... I believe that most are just "contenting" themselves with a software but are not really finding the appropriate solution. It's more like: "well, what can you do? - that's the best I could find." Developers are just not producing it! The software industry seems to be lagging behind.

Darwin:
Well... an update of sorts: SWREG e-mailed GemX about three hours ago giving them 48 hours to contact me and advising them that failure to do so will result in SWREG issuing me a refund. I feel quite conflicted about this because I really was/am hoping that gemx hasn't gone away... Sadly, it seems to me that they have. To date, I have 7 unanswered DSM's with them, 3 unanswered e-mails, the blog comments, this thread, 5 messages through SWREG... Not looking too promising, folks  :(

superboyac:
There are two sides of this argument, the user side and the developer side.  In many ways, this information management is still in the pioneering stages.  Even though PIM software have been around as long as computers have been, only recently have we started seeing the genre beginning to mature.  So we can't expect the perfect PIM to be out there at this point.  Also, information management is a wildly variable term depending on the individual.  The needs of one person are very very different from another, so again, one software can't cover it all.  PIM software is so broad in its application that almost any program out there can be a PIM software in some form or another.

That's why the best solution is not to expect one software to cover it all, but use different programs to accomplish specific functions.  Notetaking, email, clip capturing, photo organizer, desktop search, file cataloger, calendar, appointment maker...each one can potentially be it's own application.  By expecting it all in one package, you're going to get frustrated because you're expecting the software developer to think exactly like you, which will never happen.

doublewitt:
Well, I understand your point of view. It seems that's the common trend of thought. But, to me, it's not less painful because if you use 10 applications for example, as you say, well, you can also become easily frustrated at 10 developers lagging in development, updates, support issues, and so on. Your problem can, in a sense, be 10 times bigger! So where are we at?!! I also find that "specialized" APPS, though they are good - no doubt, have endless options I don't need - but others do, ofcourse. Anyways, I guess, each client works towards a (temporary) and acceptable solution. Maybe that's why I like TreeDB - it's light as a pim.

doublewitt:
Well... an update of sorts: SWREG e-mailed GemX about three hours ago giving them 48 hours to contact me and advising them that failure to do so will result in SWREG issuing me a refund. I feel quite conflicted about this because I really was/am hoping that gemx hasn't gone away... Sadly, it seems to me that they have. To date, I have 7 unanswered DSM's with them, 3 unanswered e-mails, the blog comments, this thread, 5 messages through SWREG... Not looking too promising, folks  :(-Darwin (October 04, 2007, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Whatever internal problems they might have, you don't leave your clients out-to-lunch like that. They've lost clients and will find difficulty in re-gaining them. Any serious company would think of posting a message to their clients. It's when they do absolutely nothing like that - it makes you wonder... and it's too bad, yes, if they are permanently gone - but we have to move on...

Let us know what happens...
thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version