ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GemX - missing in action

<< < (76/77) > >>

rgdot:
Haven't upgraded yet and may not but as far as I can tell (not that there are any new screenshots that I can find) almost everything new is in the back end. My impression, without having used it, is did this require a version bump to 4?

Darwin:
Good point, rgdot... As you note , the GUI isn't really changed very much, there are no new features (though a bunch of new stuff is promised for v.4.x). Upgrades are pretty cheap - $19.95. However, as I noted, I don't think I'll jump - I'm happy with my current workflow.

I can report, though, that I found the beta to be very stable and it worked well under Win 7 64-bit.

Dormouse:
My impression, without having used it, is did this require a version bump to 4?
-rgdot (October 30, 2010, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, if a complete rewrite of the majority of the code does not justify a major version upgrade, then what does?

Certainly v4 is functionally virtually identical to v3 (& v3 works find on W7 x64 for me). Equally certainly, no-one has to upgrade. At some stage of v4, there may be some new features that you do want to upgrade for - and you can do it then. But I'm not sure how they would choose exactly which new features would justify a version upgrade; it seems easier to me to do what they have done and make it a major version change now, and leave users to decide if and when to upgrade. I don't think they could defer a new version any longer without losing even more users, so it is good that it is out there. And the upgrade price is very reasonable.

Josh:
Dormouse: While I agree that a complete rewrite can, and in most cases does, justify a major upgrade...in the eyes of the consumer if nothing changes visually or functionally, then it does not. Most consumers, I say most because like us at DC there are exceptions, expect a visual impact when going from V.X to V.Y. My father once asked me why he should upgrade from diskkeeper 8 to 9 back in the day (before I knew he was buying this and wasting his money) because very little had changed visually. He didn't see what was new during his trial upgrade.

Dormouse:
in the eyes of the consumer if nothing changes visually or functionally, then it does not.
-Josh (October 31, 2010, 08:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

But surely that is OK? Consumer does not think it is worth upgrading (quite understandably atm) and so does not upgrade.

But GemX are saying that they anticipate frequent updates to v4. This means it will be very hard to find a point at which the extra features justify the upgrade unless they artificially delay releasing new versions. This is the first real upgrade for quite a few years. I decided to upgrade this time, partly to show some support and trust and partly to support the reasonable upgrade pricing. We'll see if it was worth it some time, but there's nothing that makes it compelling now - but I still understand why it's an appropriate point to say it is a major version change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version