ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

GemX - missing in action

<< < (72/77) > >>

Dormouse:
And now an extra discount (at least until Jan 10th) - 2 for price of 1. So, if 2 of you want to buy, that's only $25 each. Not so long ago, that would have been $165.

Seems pretty cheap to me, even if they don't produce a new version.

And they are looking for suggestions etc for v4.

Dormouse:
And again at $25 on BitsDuJour (March 27th).

Darwin:
So... anyone using Do-Organizer or TexNotes Pro regularly at the momet? If so, I’d be curious to hear how people are finding it, how support is, etc. Now that things (should) have settled down at GemX following their re-launch late last fall I’m interested in how they are doing. I am on Vista 64 so haven’t been paying much attention (because of compatibility issues), but today’s Bits Du Jour offering got me thinking about them again...

Dormouse:
I use DO regularly and like it - though there's quite a lot of things I'd prefer it did differently (but then there are so many things that it does). It is convenient having so many functions in one prog.

Forum tends to get responses, but isn't very active. v4 screenshots are put up from time to time and it is supposed to be in development. It doesn't work with 64 bit OSs (I think) but v4 would. Don't know about support since I have never tried using it.

My idea that they are wringing as much money as they can out of v3 seems to be accurate enough judging from the various price cuts and offers that have come along. I certainly think it is a snip at $25 for anyone who has a use for it. Presumably v4 will cost more, and presumably there will be an upgrade cost - though they do seems to have moved to a much cheaper standard pricing model than they had in the old days

SKesselman:
Forum tends to get responses, but isn't very active.
-Dormouse (March 27, 2009, 02:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, it's not very active, not at all. It's not very welcoming, IMHO. Read the Rules.

If you were a member of the original forum, and you read the long list of every conceivable offense that could occur on any forum, you'll know that many, if not most of these offenses never even occurred on the old forum. So, why list them? It's condescending. Exactly what is considered inappropriate behavior? Most of us know. Or rather, we think we know. I never thought criticism of a mod was unacceptable, if conveyed in the manner described below:

Someone just got treated very rudely - in all caps - by a mod, and it specifically states in the DON'Ts to not write in all caps...no "Welcome to the forum, but...", no gentle prodding in the right direction, just a straight-up rude response. Now, if I point that out publicly in the (poor) user's defense, (and I do that from time to time and with great sincerity), no matter how gently or tactfully it's done, I still may get kicked off the forum, as stated in the Rules.

Public complaints (and I assume that includes criticisms) about the moderation of the forum are not allowed, and the moderator states:
"Don't break the rules so we have to deal with you and that resulting in your membership account being deleted permenantly without any email sent to you explaining why. If your post is gone, obviously, you violated the forum rules."

Thanks, but no thanks...after all of my participation on the original forum, not to mention all of the interaction I've had with the GemX team themselves from early 2004 until the close of their first forum, I don't think I'd handle getting kicked off their new forum - with no written explanation - and my post deleted - very graciously.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version