ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Switcher2: Expose Clone (Window Arranger) for Windows

<< < (3/15) > >>

laughinglizard:
I just tried it, I love it. Just another reason to go Windows.
-wreckedcarzz (September 02, 2007, 10:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

There are two more program like Switcher that run on Windows.

One is SmartFlip. I like it better than Switcher, though I haven't tried the new release.
Here's an overview from Lifehacker on SmartFlip
http://lifehacker.com/software/flip-3d/download-of-the-day-smartflip-windows-vista-240275.php

Windows Vista only: Tweak Vista's Flip 3D preview function with SmartFlip.
http://www.osx-e.com/downloads/applications/smartflip.html

The utility replaces Flip 3D's "deck of cards"-style flipping with a rotating, circular preview. Because this gives you a full, rather than obscured, view of each thumbnail, it's easier to find the window you want. What's more, SmartFlip can show you only the windows for a particular application, such as Word. You can run the utility with its own hotkey(s) or configure it to replace Flip 3D's Windows-Tab launcher. You can also modify a wealth of settings, including rotation speed, window opacity, etc.

The other program is WinExposé.
Its an ok program other than its very, very slow on my system. Apparently on others as well.
http://www.matiasmoreno.com.ar/winexpose/

Darwin:
Heh, heh, had the same experience as laughing lizard: when I remembered to use it
--- End quote ---
, though I did try running for awhile with the alt-tab trigger invoked. It worked well but every so often it would bog down on me and drove me nuts. I only ever ran Top Desk's trial, so didn't really wring it out; it might be better.

Armando:
I find all the implementations of exposé on win XP rather clunky or too resource  hungry. So I’ve settled on TaskSwitchXP.

TaskSwitchXP is not perfect and there are some features I’d like to see in it (like to be able to permanently organize tasks by title or application -- "permanently" is a keyword here). I wrote to the developer, but it looks like he's too busy or doesn't care too much... :). Anyway, it's pretty good otherwise.

IMO, Farr could become a full-blown task switcher (it's already been mentioned several times) which would  list all applications, the way we want it, etc., etc.. Farr being the central interface to deal with programs seems pretty logical to me. There's already the Switch To Task, an AHK script by Justice. The problem is if you don't remember the title bar name of the app. you want to switch too...

Anyway... Fear of "off-topicness" brings an end to these lucubrations...

Darwin:
In the same vein as TaskswitchXP, there is also M$' own alt-tab replacement powertoy. I've tried both and they offer similar functionality, but as always at a greater resource cost than I am willing to pay for the functionality returned...

Armando:
In the same vein as TaskswitchXP, there is also M$' own alt-tab replacement powertoy. I've tried both and they offer similar functionality, but as always at a greater resource cost than I am willing to pay for the functionality returned...
-Darwin (September 03, 2007, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I find TaskSwitchXP more practical and configurable than the "alt-tab replacement powertoy", but I agree with your comment about the resource/functionality ratio. That's why I believe that using farr as a task switcher-manager would be very appropriate. One app to rule them all...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version