ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

$7.5 to optimize XP NTFS Drive access : rip-off or not ?

<< < (2/9) > >>

mwb1100:
EDIT: oh wait, processor speed. NTFS compression? It does reduce the amount of I/O done, and is pretty cheap processor-wise these days.
-f0dder (September 02, 2007, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you've probably hit on it.  I'm half tempted to pay them the $7.50 just to be able to 'out' the big secret.

Josh:
Perhaps mouser could use DC funds to find out the big secret and then post it to the web!

MerleOne:
Actually, I wonder whether Disktrix can legally forbid such a publication ?

Perhaps mouser could use DC funds to find out the big secret and then post it to the web!
-Josh (September 02, 2007, 07:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

justice:
get a 40% members discount and then one of us can buy it with a large group all donating 2p.

f0dder:
Well, I'm convinced that it's NTFS compression, direct quotes from the webpage and the PDF teaser (emphasis is mine):

And it's a feature that is normally disabled but which you can turn on in Vista, XP, 2000, NT, 2003 with a couple clicks of your mouse.
and from the PDF:
-disktrix scamsters
--- End quote ---
In fact it is quite a prominent feature in any operating system that supports the NT File System. However, when it was originally implemented into NTFS it was acutally deemed to reduce hard drive performance. This was because NTFS and this particular feature of NTFS was conceived at the time when a 300 MHz processor was considered state of the art.
-disktrix scamsters
--- End quote ---

It's really low demanding money for something like this, whatever it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version