ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stay Away From Microsoft VISTA

<< < (15/19) > >>

Josh:
Exactly, a car can be compared to a computer in that, the longer you keep it, the more it costs to maintain. For a computer, the longer you keep it without upgrading, the more of your TIME it takes to maintain. Upgrading is something everyone must do at one point (when the costs outweigh the benefits).

rssapphire:
I had a few apps that did not play well, I cut them loose after a reasonable amount of time after Vista's launch. Reasonable being 2 months.-GHammer (September 11, 2007, 06:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

I still have programs from the 1990s I use. They do the job. They are paid for (both in money and in time to learn them). In some cases they work better for my needs that the latest and greatest versions. In one case, there is no replacement. It does not make good business sense to cut loose something paid for that gets the job done well just because there is something new out there. I run applications on my systems to get my work done. I select my operating systems to run the applications I need -- not the other way around.

Get on down the road, take the time to get familiar with Vista, spring for new hardware if what you use is not supported in Vista. But get with the 21st century.
--- End quote ---

I run XP and Kubuntu 7.04, both released in the 21st century. :) However, I still prefer books to e-books even though printed books are so 15th century. Just call me a Luddite.

rssapphire:
Exactly, a car can be compared to a computer in that, the longer you keep it, the more it costs to maintain. For a computer, the longer you keep it without upgrading, the more of your TIME it takes to maintain.
-Josh (September 11, 2007, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

My current computer is 4 years old. It takes about the same amount of monthly maintenance time today that it did the month I bought it. I don't expect this to change much.

Armando:
Upgrading is usually sooooooooooo time consuming -- how many times have I made the mistake of upgrading when I should've just use my old apps-OS-computer... Not that this is always the case, but... Josh : I'm not sure your car analogy really works ;D
f0dder's one makes sense though...
And, yes, me too, my old computers do take the same amount of monthly maintenance today than they did before... they just don't run as fast. But we're talking OS here... Not computers...  :P

Darwin:
Get on down the road, take the time to get familiar with Vista, spring for new hardware if what you use is not supported in Vista. But get with the 21st century.
--- End quote ---

XP is a 21st century OS!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version