ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stay Away From Microsoft VISTA

<< < (7/19) > >>

f0dder:
The proper solution would have been simpler, clearer, safer, and better for everyone.  When a program is attempting to access files it's not allowed to in one of these privileged directories -- prompt the user, explain the problem, and let them switch the program to run in "compatibility mode" where it IS allowed to access these directories like it could in WinXP, etc.  If they want to run it in compatibility mode, fine.  If not, don't run it.  If you then wanted to let them switch into some insane virtual store more, with a huge warning, you could even do that (though if you ask me i wouldn't provide such an option).
-mouser (September 06, 2007, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
Simply fix the NTFS filesystem permissions of that _one_ application folder to allow non-admin access.

Carol Haynes:
How about letting installed apps be 'pseudo-users'  (say initially in the 'applications user group') like System, .Net or ASP users - then you can use user settings to set what access each application has very specifically. If certain settings are required to use an app for everyone using that app it could be set up in the installer with appropriate warnings to system administrator doing the installation (eg. via popup permissions and in the system log each instance of changed access rights could be noted with specific details).

f0dder:
It could be called "Legacy Applications Group", or LAG :) - might seem a bit messy to do it this way, but certainly less messy to use a feature present since the initial NT/NTFS days, instead of the shoddy way it's done in Vista.

Eóin:
What about MSLU/Unicows?-f0dder (September 06, 2007, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose the only real issue is that I don't have access to a win 98 machine to test on. But in these days of running VMs that's not really an excuse, I still have an original Win 98 cd.

wraith808:
Mouser- the "feature" that you complain about has actually been around for a *long* time- it's just that most users don't run afoul of it in general use.  Try running a program over remote desktop that uses the windows directory or the registry.  I dare you... :)  You'll run into the same problem, because Terminal Services virtualizes the registry and the windows directory.  It's not as aggressive with the whole keeping the old versions, which I'm sure is a pain.  But it's been around for a while and too few people made waves over it- I've coded around it *at least* three times.  But that's what you have to do in the end- code around M$'s mistakes ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H  designs and be ready to remove your hack when they get things right...  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version