ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Family/Household Personal Information Organizer/Manager

<< < (4/8) > >>

johnfdeluca:
I've actually just started with TiddlyWiki.....brand new to it before this effort.  It seems quite capable for this and many other of my Organization Obsessions.  I especially like:

* open source standard
* easy and intuitive to use yet highly powerful configurations/extensions
* lends itself well USB pen drive (for protection) and single file approach for easy transfer to others
* has tons of plug-ins, themes, macros, variants, distributions
* active and helpful community
* perfect for misc bits of information that are somewhat apples and oranges
I could see TiddlyWiki being one of my new must-have software apps, easily replacing M$ OneNote.  Right now, I'm playing with themes, plug-ins, macros and the like to get the exact customized TiddlyWiki I want.  For example, I find it very easy to get overwhelmed with all the tiddys open (even with the close others/all macro)....but there are some great plug-ins that address this like the breadcrumbs plugin, singlepagemode plugin, and tiddlersbar plug-in.  Once I get it the way I want, I'll then focus on content and layout.

My concern about making a distribution is if we use some of the copyrighted material referenced in above posts.....despite my sarcasm, I would definately want to ensure we obtain permission before including any copyrighted material.

http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

Jimdoria:
Well, there are ways to obtain copyrights - sometimes just asking for them!

For inclusion in a not-for-profit project, with an embedded link back to the source site, the copyright holders of these various pieces might be amenable to having them included in the project.

laughinglizard:
Wow, so just posting a link or URL to a website which contains copywrited material is a voilation of the copyright?  I would think Google among others is in major trouble as well.  It would violate copyright if you attached a copy or content from the copyrighted material without permission.  I would argue it does not violate copyright to point to the location where the author stores the material for public availability.
--- End quote ---

No, what I was saying is that as far as I know, posting a link back to a site that contains copyrighted material is ok.
We all post links to sites all the time - with and without copyrighted material.

The problem comes when you copy or take any content from a site and add it or use it on another web site or claim it as your original material.
I don't do that and I don't think others here do either.
I'd need permission (where needed), credit, and proper attribution before I used anyone's material.

Well, there are ways to obtain copyrights - sometimes just asking for them!
For inclusion in a not-for-profit project, with an embedded link back to the source site, the copyright holders of these various pieces might be amenable to having them included in the project.
--- End quote ---

Exactly. I've asked for permission to use their document here, I haven't heard back yet.
Until I hear back, I posted a link back to the site that contains the document - which you can download in .pdf or .doc for yourself.

If they say sure, use the document, fine, it can be added here.
If they'd prefer not to, a link back to their site will work as well.

johnfdeluca:
I have a pretty good TiddlyWiki shell for this.  I am utilizing a the  MonkeyPirateTiddlyWiki distribution, featuring "TagglyTagging".  If/When we have permission to make it available here (as it contains some copyrighted info, I will do so.

Darwin:
Wow! This is a great thread. Particularly for those of us with dependants. I'll be working through the suggestions and will get some of this implemented so that if anything happens to me, my wife isn't left beating her head against the wall because she doesn't know the password to access our credit card online, when the house insurance is due, etc. Thanks johnfdelcua and laughinlizard  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version