ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can I uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 ??

<< < (5/5)

Wildgoose:
Thank you for asking the question Curt.  I too had wondered and 'left well alone' just in case.  The answers have settled the doubts I had. :up:

Curt:
Head Up   appreciated, Wildgoose. There are so many things I don't understand (and probably never will), so I am bound to keep on asking!  8)

Curt:
apropos the thread's subject:

Remove or Reinstall .NET Framework

Posted: 18 Dec 2008 02:12 PM PST
Copyright © 2008 CyberNet | CyberNet Forum |

The other day I was having troubles with one of my machines regarding the .NET framework. As you probably already know many Windows applications require that you have a specific version of the .NET framework installed (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, etc…) in order for them to function properly. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn’t make it very easy to repair or reinstall the .NET framework should it decide to go haywire on you.

The first thing I tried to do is uninstall .NET through the add/remove interface with the hopes of reinstalling it again once that completed. Those hopes were quickly dashed once the uninstall process failed miserably, and left me with a half-installed product that didn’t work. To make matters worse I couldn’t reinstall the .NET framework since the computer was saying that it was already installed, and repairing it was never offered as an option.

I began searching around the Internet to find out that I was far from the only person finding themselves in this little crisis. While looking for a solution I stumbled upon a handy little tool created by a Microsoft employee that will cleanup any .NET installations you have on your machine. It removes both both files and registry settings that .NET creates when it is installed on a computer, but it is recommended that you try to use the standard add/remove programs interface before resorting to this.

What makes this tool so nice is the fact that you can have it remove one specific version of .NET, or remove all of them at once. Just select the corresponding option from the drop-down menu, and you’ll be on your merry little way.

Not everyone may have the same problem I did, but it’s obvious that issues like this are fairly widespread. Maybe Microsoft will fix this in future releases of .NET, but this is one tool I’ll always keep handy.

Download .NET Framework Cleanup Utility for Windows

Copyright © 2008 CyberNet | CyberNet Forum |-CyberNet
--- End quote ---
There are a couple of very important caveats that you should read before using this tool to cleanup .NET Framework bits on your machine:

1. This tool is designed as a last resort for cases where install, uninstall or repair did not succeed for unusual reasons.  It is not intended as a substitute for the standard uninstall procedure.  You should try to perform an uninstall from Add/Remove Programs before using this cleanup tool.
   2. This cleanup tool will delete shared files and registry keys used by other versions of the .NET Framework.  If you run the cleanup tool, you will need to perform a repair or reinstall for all other versions of the .NET Framework that are on your computer to get them to work correctly afterwards.-Aaron Stebner
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version