ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Life without XP SP2 - is it possible?

<< < (5/13) > >>

Darwin:
Yes - that's the route I was going to suggest if it proves that Broadcom is not already doing this.

Darwin:
Was going to add the following in edit the above post, but the edit turned out to be long and contains enough new info that I want to make sure Dan reads it! Thus, I have turned it into a separate post :D

EDIT: was running for lunch as I wrote the above. To elaborate, I used to use Winc by Cirond (who knows what's going on with this one) under Win2k (because the D-Link drivers for the wireless card I was running conflicted with Standby and Hibernate resulting in a consistent BSOD when invoked while running D-Link's utility). Under XP, I found that Winc would ABSOLUTELY refuse, out of the blue, to connect to my security enabled network and I'd have to resort to removing the security protection and setting up new keys, etc. I got fed up and reverted to the default XP utility and have never looked back. However, experience suggests to me that what afflicts one machine won't necessarily have the same effect on another so I'm just working through dantheman's setup to see who it's setup so we can proceed from there.

So, Carol's advice is excellent, dan, if Broadcom is not interfering in any way, we can try deleting the profile and re-creating it. **BUT a word of caution: make sure that your friend hasn't set up any security on your network first. If he has, you won't be able to connect at all when you try to set up your new profile**

dantheman:
@Darwin,

While you were out to lunch i went for a stroll and did some lawn mowing.  ;)
I'll have to meditate on what you wrote about.
Could find anything in programs with Broadcom and the option you shared.

@Carol,
This NetGear business, is that another contraption like DLink?

Pardon my ignorance folks!

Darwin:
Sorry - jumping in to answer for Carol. Yes, Netgear makes routers and wireless cards. If you buy one of their products and install their drivers from CD, you'll wind up with a bunch of software installed on your computer, one of which will likely be a utility to manage your wireless network connections.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry - jumping in to answer for Carol. Yes, Netgear makes routers and wireless cards. If you buy one of their products and install their drivers from CD, you'll wind up with a bunch of software installed on your computer, one of which will likely be a utility to manage your wireless network connections.
-Darwin (August 23, 2007, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for responding for me.

Actually I quite like Netgear's software - the only things installed by the driver CD are the drivers and the connection wizard. The connection wizard is really useful (IMHO) and is much easier to use than Windows crapola system - especially if you want to use WPA encryption. The only downside is that I haven't worked out how to get it to start minimised so every time my system starts up I have to close the Netgear window.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version