ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Life without XP SP2 - is it possible?

(1/13) > >>

dantheman:
Hi,

My situation is annoying.
SP2 takes up so much ressources!
Every time i re-install my notebook (hooked up to a Network) it takes about 5 to 10 times before the D-Link works properly and then, without SP2 loaded yet, my connection randomly falls all the time.

Any hint as to how i can keep my XP Home ed. without SP2?
I have 768MB of RAM and plan on going to 1.2G but in the meantime...
Also, do i have to install SP1 if i must install SP2?

Thanks for helping out folks!

Josh:
SP2 can be installed independently of SP1. You can upgrade to SP2 without any prior updates. As for SP2 taking "more" resources, I honestly dont see it. I've had SP2 running for a few years now and its run great and without any sort of issue.

What exactly happens when you install sp2? Does the system slow down? Does it crash? what?

Darwin:
I didn't notice much  in the way of a difference between Sp-1 and Sp-2 - are you sure that Sp-2 makes a profound difference?

Note: when I did the Sp-1 - Sp-2 upgrade I was running 512MB RAM but have since upgraded to 1024MB... Wish I could tell you that the difference when I did this was dramatic, but it wasn't...

dantheman:
So from what you're telling me, upgrading to 1.2G of RAM shouldn't make any noticeable difference?

Slower boot/shutdown and general less responsiveness is what i get when i "upgrade" to SP2.   :(

Also, still trying to figure out why it takes 5 to 10 reboots before i can get onto the Network (using wireless)?

Lashiec:
I think it's impossible to keep SP2 at bay unless you reject the updates from Windows Update, which it's a terrible idea, as a SP1 would be getting attacks by every hole, unless you properly cover them (not recommended). I think something may be wrong somewhere between Windows and your D-Link. And actually SP2 "carries" SP1 as well.

Another option to avoid SP2 would be installing Vista :P or (a more realistic option) Windows 2003 Server. But that's like killing flies using dynamite :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version