ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a simple, inexpensive Video Editing Software

<< < (2/2)

TOOWILD:
There are some great lesser known video editors - Try Wamble mpeg editor - fairly inexpensive and has great features and a small learning curve. Dont expect Hollywood quality effects however. Just my 2 cents, but Avid is my editor of choice, avoid pinacle, they make great software but you have to pay extra for everything - Mpeg encoding, - extra - surround sound - extra - dolby 2.0 - extra - hollywood effects - extra - plus effects - extra - they nickel and dime you to death.
Also a decent alternative is TmpegEnc DVD author - around $100 but has nice features for easy edits - not much in the way of effects however, but you can do subtitles and it will read most every file type under the sun.
A favorite of mine is Pure Motion Edit Studio - Very sweet! check it out on their page http://www.puremotion.com/downloads/index.htm
Good luck and happy editing  8)

Carol Haynes:
Try http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp

Trial versions available. I have the Pro version of this lot and it is superb - the two 'consumer' level versions will probably do what you need.

Second Shadow:
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. Some of them I'd already tried and some others (like the well regarded Avid) don't really suit my current needs.
I'll check out the other suggestions posted here which I hadn't considered before. If I end up finding a program that I really like I'll come back and post about it here so the info is available to everybody.

mikiem:
@ 2ndS
"Here are the main features that I'm looking for in the software:
...Both Storyboard and Timeline... Small... Inxpensive..."

I'd humbly suggest checking out Wax: http://www.debugmode.com/wax/
In combination with VirtualDub (Virtualdub.org) you should be able to manage most tasks, and they're both free. If you wanted to tackle the learning curve, AviSynth could prove invaluable as well.

"Ability to export to my codec of choice..."

Alas, not going to happen, at least with what's avail. currently. What you will find is a *Bunch* of GUI front-ends for open source and free software libraries that will do all sorts of conversions for you. VirtualDub or Wax can come close depending on the codecs you want to use and install, but if you want to output to everything you'll have to use either separate encoders or one of the GUIs.

"Ability to accept clips of different sizes and resize..."

VirtualDub or AviSynth hands down. More accurate and up to 10 times faster then NLEs because of heavily optimized code. AviSynth requires simple script files so has a learning curve as mentioned. Despite: "Relatively simple to use" being a requirement, one of the AviSynth script writing utilities *might* bring it down to an acceptable level. Check avisynth.org for info, and videohelp.com for utilities like avsedit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version