ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The software awards scam

<< < (8/11) > >>

Grorgy:
I like mouser's and app's idea, I think the current debate on file managers demonstrates that what is great for one person just doesn't fit the needs of the next

Darwin:
Heh, heh, heh... I was so enthusiastic about my own idea for Cody holding gold coins (prompted by Josh's clucks idea) that I didn't actually pick up on the "middle bit" about having DC'er's vote on different apps. I'd have to say that I'm with mouser on that one - too much potential for unscrupulous types to vote to drive up the rating of their (or their company's) product.

My vision was and is this:

BIG, proper reviews/roundups (a la the text editor review or Zaine's Word processor review) - Cody and his coins
MiniReviews - a badge featuring Cody with the script "Read the mini-review"
Forum discussions (superboyac's notetaking thread, for example) - Cody featuring the script "Read the discussion"

mouser:
I like this idea.. it might be useful for authors who don't have their own full forums, they can point people to dc discussion of their program if they want to.

Josh:
They can't be all that bad! That was actually how I found donationcoder! I found a site that had a doco award, I believe it was AnalogX.com before their redesign, and that is how I found this wonderful....place ;)

Curt:
updated 13 December 2007:

The software awards scam (update)

23 awards.

The article got a surprising amount of interest, including front page mentions on reddit, digg, slashdot and wordpress and a mention in the Guardian newspaper (they were too mean to give the URL of the article). There were also some entertaining reviews posted on download sites. The page has so far had over 150,000 hits, 263 comments and a Google page rank of 6. I hope this exposure will make a small contribution to ending this sordid little practice.

It has been quite instructive to be on the receiving end of the news, albeit in a small way. Much of the commentary was inaccurate. One ‘journalist’ from ZDNET Belgium/Holland even managed to get both my first name and last name wrong, which is quite a feat considering we had exchanged several emails. I don’t know how many other mistakes he made, because the rest of the article was in Dutch or Flemish. I wonder if the mainstream media is much better. Definitely don’t believe everything you read. -update
--- End quote ---

So, does anyone today think the article made "a contribution to ending this sordid little practice."?
Edited: Let me re-phrase my question:
Is the problem smaller, unchanged, or even bigger today?  :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version