ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The software awards scam

<< < (5/11) > >>

Mark0:
Submitting a fake-software was a nice thing to try! :)

I for one am "guilty" too of showing some of those awards and linking back. At firsts, some years ago, when I released the firsts versions of TrID, I was pretty excited when the first xx stars notifications showed up on my mailbox, and promptly edited the webpages to reflect the achievements. Then started to notice the trend, and the "little magic" vanished! :) I have almost stopped adding new awards, but haven't removed most of them probably out of simple laziness more than other.

Anyway, check this comment posted on the corresponding story on Slashdot:
The Software Awards Scam - Been there, done that - by Anonymous Coward
[...]
But then I thought, Hey, most of these guys have some amateur frontpage-site or some badly used CMS with some crappy logo of a smiling dog or something. I can do that better. Much better. In fact, I had the system of a fully automated site with a webcrawler looking for .pads, autogenerated reviews and awards so people would link back to it suddenly right on my mind. And then I did it. I wouldn't say that I invented it but I didn't know of a similar site at the time. And yes, I cloned it to various domains.

Long story short, my network generates around 2500$ ad-revenue a month today, which is a lot of money over here, and I have a clear conscience. It is perfectly legal, I pay my taxes.
[...]
--- End quote ---

Bye!

Darwin:
Interesting story, Mark0 - thanks for highlighting it. I sort of feel for the guy - people were ripping him off and I guess he felt that if he couldn't beat them, he could join them. I'm a bit unclear as to whether he set up a site to do exactly what was done to him or if he set it up so that both he and the software developers were able to get a piece of the pie (I *hope*, without much conviction, that this is what was done), so don't know if he is Prince John or Robin Hood here. Oh well, either way, interesting.

cyberdiva:
It is such a pity there aren't any/many? good software review sites, other than DC of course.-nevf (August 18, 2007, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
One software review site that I've read for several years is the Neat Net Tricks Software Reviews at http://www.neatnettricks.com/SoftwareReviews/.  They have a panel of reviewers; usually between 4 and 6 people review a given piece of software.  Each describes his/her experience with it, what the strengths and weaknesses are, etc.  By having several people reviewing the same software program, you get a better sense than just one person's views and prejudices.  I've bought several programs based on enthusiastic reviews from NNT, and I've never been sorry.

Darwin:
Thanks for the link cyberdiva. I always come across these reviews when googling and forget to bookmark them, so never know when I'm going to find them again. I like them too and am off to bookmark it NOW!

:Thmbsup:

mouser:
We've posted about neat tricks before, but they definitely deserve another mention  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version