ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The software awards scam

<< < (3/11) > >>

PhilB66:
What about Zaine's Great Software list? Anyone got a URL for that?
-Deozaan (August 17, 2007, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Already listed by mouser

Deozaan:
Already listed by mouser
-PhilB66 (August 17, 2007, 09:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aha! Cool. I didn't see Zaine's name in there and didn't recognize the Anova domain...

Renegade:
I posted my thoughts on this at JoS. It's dangerous... I think a can of worms has been opened and there're going to be some real problems.

patteo:

* SnapFiles is a very big software listing site, and i'm impressed that they actually take the time to try software and write minireviews, and take their own screenshots.  The opinions there are not as informed as on the sites above, but they are one of the only sites i know on this mass scale who are doing this seriously - http://www.snapfiles.com/
-mouser (August 17, 2007, 01:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sometime ago, I noticed a software that I had that was listed in snapfiles. I had bought it on the strength that it came with lifetime free upgrades as compared with its competitors.

But 3 years later and no development still.

So I posted a comment at www.snapfiles.com that there has been no upgrades since 20xx and mind you, you can actually work out the lack of upgrade at the author's site.

But the comment was never published. I checked back at www.snapfiles.com several times to confirm this non posting.

I'm not saying that Snapfiles is no good. Indeed, I do check there routinely. Just saying that you should take the positive comments with a large pinch of salt.

mitzevo:
hey I was thinking of this recently..

I always come across some software with a ton of "badges" or 5/4/3/etc-star-award images.. Each time I look at the "awards"/"reviews" pages of the software, I see sites or "the award givers" I have never ever seen before.. It's like they are made up just to give it some [fake] "authority"

How many award giving software sites are there???  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version