ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Acceptable expletives

<< < (9/9)

Darwin:
BTW- There are American equivalents to 'wanker' 'bugger' etc. but I hesitate to expound in such good company... 
--- End quote ---

Yes, of course you are right. Like you, I would hate to compromise anyone by revealing these depravities on this board. Having said that, it is worth noting that the equivalents aren't nearly as common in terms of usage as they are on the sceptered isle. Seriously, you want to hear creative use of foul language (to the point that the creativity exists in making the mundane/innocuous FOUL) spend some time in the UK. There is far more range, depth and sophistication to uttering oaths there... Or perhaps I say that because it is novel. I don't know.

I will say this, in closing: app mentioned that her daughter came up with fanny cranny as an alternative swear word. I would strenuously urge everyone from NA to AVOID referring to their bottom as their fanny. Likewise the fanny pack - avoid it like the plague when conversing with anyone from the UK (or really, from an English speaking region outside of NA). Fanny has a more gender specific (though I misappropriate the term gender as it is a social construct and, unbeknownst to the NA portion of our audience, we are dealing with biology here...) meaning and is quite crude. When I referred to "my fanny pack" during my first visit there I was met with consternation, concern, surprise, etc. as I was assured that as a male it is a physical impossibility for me to have a fanny to pack... I've said too much, gone too far. Gentle readers, forgive me...

cranioscopical:
Seriously, you want to hear creative use of foul language (to the point that the creativity exists in making the mundane/innocuous FOUL) spend some time in the UK. There is far more range, depth and sophistication to uttering oaths there...-Darwin (September 04, 2007, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's the rain that does it. C&P, spend three months in constant a drizzle and you'll have had an English summer!

Darwin:
It's the rain that does it. C&P, spend three months in constant a drizzle and you'll have had an English summer!
--- End quote ---

No wonder everyone talks about Victoria and Vancouver Island as being more British than Britain...

Edvard:
So I should not tell anybody from the UK that my student loan was from "Fannie Mae"  ;D ;D

Darwin:
So I should not tell anybody from the UK that my student loan was from "Fannie Mae"  ;D ;D
-Edvard (September 05, 2007, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gasp! Certainly not!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version