ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DcUpdater

DcuHelper.exe v1.10 (7/12/11) - Update checking for your apps (dcupdater compat)

<< < (2/18) > >>

justice:
What happens:
I have the dcuhelper.exe in a subfolder "dcuhelper" inside my program installation folder (d:\scripts\PutAside01).
I also made svd-putaside.dcupdate in the program folder.

My program runs the command if it hasn't been run before:

--- ---d:\scripts\PutAside01\dcuhelper\dcuhelper.exe -r "PutAside" "d:\scripts\PutAside01"
a commandline window flashes up with no text in it, and my program is not recognised by dcupdater.
If I run svd-putaside.dcupdate then dcupdater comes up for my program only (not for the other installed programs).

What i was expecting:
I was expecting that by running the dcuhelper program it would add my program to the list of all the other programs recognised by dcupdater. if this was not the case then I thought the first time I would run my .dcupdate it would also register it.

I don't fully understand what "program_labelname" should be, should this correspond with the filename part of my dcupdate file, should it correspond to the local -> label  value or can it be anything (if so what's the use?)

mouser:

I don't fully understand what "program_labelname" should be, should this correspond with the filename part of my dcupdate file, should it correspond to the local -> label  value or can it be anything (if so what's the use?)
--- End quote ---

yeah sorry i should have explained what that was used for.. it's just used to name the file that is created in, for example:

--- ---C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles\PROGRAM_LABEL.dcupdateredirect
so the answer is it doesn't really matter what you pass, as long as it's unique to other programs.

getting back to your comment about running it with -r:
a commandline window flashes up with no text in it, and my program is not recognised by dcupdater.
--- End quote ---

the -r says to create that file above, it does nothing else.  That file just allows DcUpdater to find your program when DcUpdater is run independently (like from Start Menu), rather than being launched from within your program.  You should call ShellExecte with the SW_HIDE parameter so that the user doesnt see the blank window pop up.

You can make the -r call every time your program starts, or just once, OR you can use the -ri commandline parameter mode with dcuhelper to create that file each time you invoke it to check for updates.

To actually call the updater to check for updates from your program you use the -i or -ri commandlie options for dcuhelper.

Does that clarify things a bit?

justice:
Ah right it now checks for updates. Many thanks.

quick glanceif I run dcuhelper with -ri options it does run DCUpdater and checks for my program, but if I run DCUpdater on itself my program is not in the list.

The way I still think it should work is that you register it, after this act the registered program is part of the regular update cycle. At the moment it's not.

I'll look at it again on the monday.

mouser:
After the -r call, launching DcUpdater by itself should list your program in the complete list of all known stuff that can be updated.  If it doesn't, check to see if the file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles\PROGRAM_LABEL.dcupdateredirect" is being created, and if the contents of that file point to the directory of your program.

mouser:
An example of suggested way to invoke update check from your program using dcuhelper.exe, from a C++ program:

ShellExecute(NULL,"open",dcufullpath,comlineargs,NULL,SW_HIDE);

where:

* dcufullpath is the full path to the dcuhelper.exe you installed with your program, e.g.: C:\Program Files\ProcessTamer\dcuhelper.exe
* comlineargs is: -ri ProcessTamer "C:\Program Files\ProcessTamer" "Warning" -show

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version