ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CCleaner 2.0 Beta Released - Clean the Crap off your Computer

<< < (4/7) > >>

f0dder:
I seem to be having a problem with my IE temp files, etc.  I do use ccleaner and cleanup, but sometimes I still don't seem to have all the files (temp, cookie, etc) cleaned out.  Any suggestions?-lrosebur (February 29, 2008, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you remember to close down internet explorer before running CCleaner? Also, IE might not be enough, you might need to close down all programs using an IE HTML rendering control... that could include email applications, and iirc norton/symantec antivirus uses IE HTML control for it's interface too.

lrosebur:
I close everything and run ccleaner and cleanup just before I shutdown my pc for the night.

Lynn

CleverCat:
I close everything and run ccleaner and cleanup just before I shutdown my pc for the night.

Lynn
-lrosebur (February 29, 2008, 08:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto.... ;)

J-Mac:
I use CCleaner only on a very limited basis. It has failed me in the past, though I usually have sufficient backups to recover. Two main issues I see in it:

First, there is no real Help file. There are some online "Tutorials" by other users, but I would hesitate to call them true tutorials, as they are extremely limited in their scope. The only real source of help is the forum, and that has a lot of less-than-experienced users there, some of whom try to help and may lead some other non-techies astray!

Second is the lack of any option for backing up data before cleaning/removing it.  IMO, "cleaning" applications should offer to back up data before removing it. (Maybe most do - I haven't tried all of them). I have been using jv16 Powertools for a few years and such backups are their default behavior.  However that is a paid application; CCleaner draws a lot of users by virtue of being free, including non-tech types who probably need such a backup option more than most!  While temp folders can usually be deleted without any trouble, deleting registry entries without backing up can be fatal!

Jim

Curt:
- I agree. I have not used my CCleaner for maybe half a year, other than to empty the basket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version