ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Educational Software reviews?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Grorgy:
according to the blurb in there, you might find lectures for some of the courses, depends on the lecturer i would imagine, i know at the university i go to that very few of the lectures are even recorded in audio let alone video, i think it would be best used as guided reading through a topic and if you find some lectures it would be a bonus

MIT OCW provides users with open access to the syllabi, lecture notes, course calendars, problem sets and solutions, exams, reading lists, even a selection of video lectures,
--- End quote ---
  (my emphasis)

app103:
Giveawayoftheday has Equation Wizard 1.2 available for free today only.

Maybe someone with better math abilities than me might like to grab it and take it for a spin and write a mini review for it.  ;)

Carol Haynes:
Seems very simple to me - doesn't have any trig functions and can't cope with fractional powers (eg. x^(1/2) which is just a square root).

See:

Any fractional powers more complex than that it just gives up:

even though both of these are trivial to solve.

I suppose it is useful if kids want to cheat on their homework with quadratic equations:

but frankly what is the point ?

Darwin:
Rapid-Pi is cheap (if you are a student) and much better than Equation Wizard... The new version (2) adds support for all office applications and a standalone mode (ie you're not confined to using Word/Office).

Carol Haynes:
It doesn't do the same job though - Rapid-Pi is an equation editor/addon on to facilitate adding equations to WP documents.

Equation Wizard doesn't do anything like that - you enter and equation and it tries to solve it or an expression and it tries to simplify it. I can't see any effective to cut and paste expressions/equations to other apps and it is standalone. Just seems to be very limited in what it can do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version