ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Should I add desktop screencast(movie) recording to ScreenshotCaptor?

<< < (4/6) > >>

jgpaiva:
After reviewing the previous posts and giving some more thought to this, i'd say "no" too.
Reasons:

1 - I had no idea there were decent freeware alternatives (wink is pretty good, but it can't do movies, only "faster slideshows")
2 - I think that your (mouser) work is more needed in other stuff :)
3 - If you did a simple version of a screencasting app, i can see people starting to ask for more features and improvements that soon would overlap with other more developed apps and would only make you lose time playing catch up

Josh:
Mouser,

I say add this if you can allow the user to configure the appropriate video codec to be used for encoding. Various applications allow you to select from installed codecs, and this could help alleviate the filesize issue. This would be a nice CORE feature to SSC.

Josh

mouser:
I think as others have better summarized, there are already good free programs for recording screencasts, and while it might be possible to add a rudimentary version of this to screenshot captor in a weekend, it would take much longer to do a reasonably good implementation, and that's time i should probably spend on other stuff.

There's a good chance i might come back to this at some point, but for now i'm going to put it on the back burner, since i have bigger fish to fry.

steeladept:
I don't think that would be so useful - after all CamStudio does that really well and is freeware.

What would be fantastic would be something similar only for creating animated gifs.

Typical application I've got in mind: for adding in to html help documents to illustrate a short simple process. Animated gifs are ideal for this as they use next to no memory and don't rely on the user having the right swf or avi player.
-katykaty (August 13, 2007, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with the animated gifs.  There are a few fair to decent gif animators out there, but I think it would be much easier to do it straight from a screen capture, rather than capturing, cropping, setting, then uploading the gifs individually.  Then compressing them all into a single animated gif.  What a bunch of steps.  If this could be streamlined, it would be a great addition.

One other great addition would be a way (or an easier way if I just haven't figured out how yet) to capture an entire web page, instead of just what is onscreen.  I know SnagIt recently added that feature and I think it would be very useful indeed.  Of course I say that not even sure that screenshotcaptor doesn't already, so how much do I really use that feature. ;D :-\

mouser:
sc can do it, its called a scrolling capture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version