ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Best Language for Employability?

(1/5) > >>

Ehtyar:
Hi all.
I am currently nearing the end of my education, and though i am versed in various programming languages, my choices tend to be rather old fashioned. What I'd like to know is what everyone considers to be the best language to learn for the sake of employability. C and/or C++ does not get you employed very successfully anymore unless you are an expert, which i would not consider myself to be. I am not interested in Java, though i could tolerate dotnet if necessary. Particularly, i would welcome the opportunity to learn C#, were i to find an IDE that was not by Microsoft and not written in Java. Any suggestion is welcome, for the sake of others as well as myself.

Thanks, Ehtyar.

jgpaiva:
disclaimer: i love java

were i to find an IDE that was not by Microsoft and not written in Java
-Ehtyar (August 12, 2007, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
Pay attention to something: if you're going to work at a big company, you'll have to use the IDE they give you, which probably will be visual studio or eclipse. Thus, you're better off learning it before you start working. If you don't like it, it's yet one more reason to learn it before starting to work with it.

If you don't like java, i'd definitelly go for .net.

Ehtyar:
The reason I'm not worried about the IDE is because i need to learn the language before using it, and i'll have no idea what IDE they're using anyway, so i might as well learn on something that meets my requirements, thus making the learning process easier, then when I'm forced to use someone elses IDE, the experience will be unpleasant, but i will have the language down pat :P

Ehtyar.

iphigenie:
Well from my perspective there seems to be (in the UK) a lot of jobs for all languages - that includes old timer languages like C and Perl, and more recent ones like python, java, c#, ruby and resurgent old style stuff like erlang (telcos) - although knowing IDEs and frameworks (and listing them) will often help your CV hit the right keywords.

According to a recruiter I spoke to last week, Perl is very hot at the moment (I am trying to recruit both junior and senior programmers) so is Java again

f0dder:
The reason I'm not worried about the IDE is because i need to learn the language before using it, and i'll have no idea what IDE they're using anyway, so i might as well learn on something that meets my requirements, thus making the learning process easier, then when I'm forced to use someone elses IDE, the experience will be unpleasant, but i will have the language down pat :P
-Ehtyar (August 12, 2007, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have to "learn the language before learning the IDE", there's a lot more to an IDE than silly little code wizards etc. For the dotNET languages, it would seem silly not to use the IDEs btw., since the GUI designers make everything so easy (and that's the frigging point of dotNET, to be easy and fast to use!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version