ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do you know a good image viewer with CMYK support ?

<< < (5/6) > >>

iphigenie:
I don't think it is a cmyk issue, it is if the program can recognise and use the additional photoshop profiles. I think a lot of the software oriented at professional photographers (and they are not all expensive) should be able to handle this.

I suspect ACDsee should as well - under color management there is an option to "use color profiles when found embedded in a file" (not ticked by default)

iphigenie:
strangely, zoner shows the right colors in browse/thumbnail mode, but then the wrong colours when you open the file, warning you that it has opened the cmyk image in rgb

ak_:
First of all, thanks a lot everybody for taking some time to solve this problem, i really appreciate.

A Quote from the lilyview website, maybe its a photoshop feature?

Photoshop uses a own color management system and includes some additional tags to any written TIFF. These tags are private, registered to Adobe and not well documented. So any other application that tries to read those TIFF's has a problem in interpreting the colors correctly (or lets say in the same way Photoshop does).
But also Photoshop has a problem (and this is not only my private oppinion, for more information you may have a look at Google Groups Graphics because I think Photoshop does wheight the "green" to much and the "blue" to less.
Also some pictures from the "SGI Tiff Test Suite" and CMYK images created by other image processing applications do definitely look "wrong" when loaded into Photoshop.
--- End quote ---
-Grorgy (August 11, 2007, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe this is an explanation. I've tried the applications listed here and i think i'll never see the end of this problem. Indeed, even if some applications displays cymk_test.jpg right, it fails displaying the orignal TIF or PSD files correctly (which is my main concern actually).

I guess Adobe is really messing with those files so the problem seems quite unsolvable.

tonsofpcs:
I think it is a color management issue, as even ImageReady shows it as the "bad" colors.  What app did you use to make this?  If photoshop, try disabling color space management and see what happens. 

Curt:
Found this on ColourAtlas:

When to use the RGB atlas and when the CMYK atlas?

Due to the fourth colour the CMYK atlas offers many more nuances, but its application only makes sense if the software and hardware being used support the CMYK colour model.

'Software only capable of RGB' and 'Software capable of both RGB and CMYK'
(click thumb):

Do you know a good image viewer with CMYK support ?

In general only software that is customarily used in the preprint stage is CMYK capable. An overwhelming majority of programs only support RGB colours.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version