ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Top 3 programs you use

<< < (40/41) > >>

BGM:
Yeah, for TreeDBNotes, I started using it years ago when KeyNote stopped being developed (someone else picked it up, but the updates are few and small).  I have so much data in those TreeDBNote books that I can't change anymore!  haha  I have the Pro version, but it's not very useful for anything beyond the notes pages anyway, and I agree, the free version does everything.   I've written dozens of times to the authour, but he hasn't answered me except maybe once or twice in all the years.

4. PowerPro
5. QuiteRSS
6. Waterfox  (I run two instances as well as Vivaldi at all times [multi-taksking])
7. PhonerLite  (turns my computer into a phone for use with our Asterisk PBX)
8. Teamviewer   (I am tech support)
9. Notepad3  opens instantly when I press win+1.  For more advanced things I use Notepad++
10. ConEmu
11. DisplayFusion
12. SystemExplorer  (another oldie)

rjbull:
2. TreeDBNotes-BGM (December 21, 2019, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Looks as if the main website is now down completely and purchase links no longer function.
The free version was always good enough for most uses.
-Dormouse (December 22, 2019, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe there were too many two-pane organisers for the market to bear, as there appears to be a winnowing going on.  You're reporting TreeDBNotes development moribund.  The entire Treepad family (including the popular freeware Treepad Lite) and associated Freebyte site have gone from the web.  Smereka TreeProjects appears to be freeware.  Jot+ Notes has just been declared freeware.  Still plenty of others, of course.

Dormouse:
Maybe there were too many two-pane organisers for the market to bear, as there appears to be a winnowing going on. -rjbull (December 22, 2019, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think TreeDBNotes most recent version is 2015, and there had been only tiny changes for some years before that.
I remember some vehement argument and criticism in the forum for a year or two before it was closed down. Many posters arguing for more PIM features. I thought they were wrong, and that more could be done to develop the text editor, whichh I believed was always its best feature.

I think there were too many organisers, but I think that the major problem was that the market simply moved away from the concept. Developers took themselves into a PIM cul-de-sac, and had nowhere to go when better answers to the PIM need arrived. Very few people want purely local anymore.

rgdot:
This also relates to DoogiePIM in the sense that an Android version was to come but was pushed back in favour of more focus on the local program....imo not coincidentally development has slowed somewhat

Dormouse:
This also relates to DoogiePIM ... development has slowed somewhat-rgdot (December 22, 2019, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
It has. Came back from the dead, frequent updates at start, but much slower now.
Quite a few things on the list to be addressed haven't been (yet). Forum pretty inactive. I've not bothered installing the latest update yet. The code might have been rewritten, but there really aren't many changes from GemX in the way it works. But it does what it does and keeps on going, which may be enough. I don't think there would be enough money to justify an Android version of such a huge program.

Ultra Recall was almost left to die but has been revived. Updates aren't cheap though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version