ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Top 3 programs you use

<< < (26/41) > >>

Grorgy:
http://www.kaylon.com/power.html (the best bookmark manager I know)-cyberdiva (August 31, 2007, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Latest download is dated 12/02/2002, is it still alive?
-andrew_x (September 01, 2007, 01:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I sure do hope so, i sent em some money today lol my trial was over, but the firefox update was done last year so they at least still look at it

Lashiec:
I don't know about this poll.. i liked it better without trying to find a "winner".. just my 2 cents
-mouser (September 01, 2007, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

But you're winning so don't complain! ;D

cyberdiva:
http://www.kaylon.com/power.html (the best bookmark manager I know)-cyberdiva (August 31, 2007, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
Latest download is dated 12/02/2002, is it still alive?
-andrew_x (September 01, 2007, 01:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, Powermarks is still very much alive.  Their most recent versions have been for making Powermarks work with Firefox.  I downloaded build 387 early this year, probably to make Powermarks compatible with Firefox 2. 

Darwin:
wreckedcarzz - perhaps you *should* add a "none of the above" option as there will be (probably a majority of) peope who do not use any of the listed apps and whose votes will not therefore be recorded. Afterall, the point of the poll is simply to get an idea of the most commonly used applications; a none of the above option will reflect this better.

TomColvin:
Armando, thanks for referring me to your other thread -- lots of interesting commentary there.  The problem you describe there is EXACTLY the one I've been struggling with for over a year -- along with the additional requirement to track my growing bibliography.

I use askSAM myself, but now only for a database about Philippine monuments.  I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted, when it came to my book research project.  I'm now working with the new version of Biblioscape 7 -- now up to version 7.14, which seems to have fixed the bugs that were bothering me a few weeks ago.  And, as a result of this forum, I've just started using WhizFolders, which I hope will allow me to bring countless word, pdf and data files together.  We'll see...

Darwin, CbC isn't just for book start up.  I was already well into my project when I discovered it.  I cut & pasted all my chapters done up to that point into CbC.  I've discovered that even at the advanced stage of my work, I still move things around a bit -- and CbC makes that simple.  Also I like the chapter-by-chapter word count, which gives me a good sense of how far along I am.  Perhaps the most useful feature is one I haven't yet needed -- the ability to meld lots of separate chapter files into one single document, available for serious work -- pagination, headers-footers, endnotes, indexing, etc.

I am still searching for an easy way to save "versions" as I move along with each chapter.

Mouser, will be very interested to read your evaluation of CbC after you've had a chance to play around with it.

I'm amazed at how little information there is available about the various approaches to the problems Mouser describes.  Certainly, many writers face the same challenge -- but no one seems to have explored this problem and come up with several well-outlined options writers might follow.

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version