ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

xplorer², a powerful windows file manager and explorer replacement / alternative

<< < (16/23) > >>

gussan:
F0dder wrote "I don't see the point of having a lot of non-file-management functionality crammed into a file manager. I can see how archive handling and ftp support can be useful to some (though I prefer separate applications for that myself), but things like uninstall, registry editing, etc? Why?!"

Because all of those functions are part of my computer, and file management is also uninstalling an application, burning a data CD, editing the registry. For example, to add usefull shell extensions (used in file management) are made a lot easier using TC, because you can use TC panels to copy registry keys or values as if they were normal files, much more easier and faster than using windows registry editor. Besides, you know windows uninstall utility is extremely slow, and to find a program takes a lot (part of file management I think), but with TC finding the right program takes a few seconds. Task management, well with TC it becomes so easy, to find the right program, kill it, see how much memory it uses, to show or hide certain controls or windows, chage its priority, much more easy than using windows task manager or prcview (for example). I know there are programs that make these things, but if TC makes it better and really faster why not use it.

So my point is, TC makes my windows life much much more easier, so why use another file manager that just can help me to move, copy, and paste files.

Now let me tell that TC starts fast, it is stable even with the 227 plugins I have installed (content, file system, lister and packer plugins). I do not care for TC executable, as long as it does the righ job, and TC's author (Mr. Cristian Ghisler), for me he is the best.

f0dder:
Well, you're obviously a convert - good for you :)

It just doesn't work for me, I like my explorer to be LEAN_AND_MEAN (xplorer2 weighs in at ~780kb uncompressed) and fast... and without a lot of stupid copy protection running in the background that isn't a problem for the crackers anyway, but stops me from un-UPX'ing the executable :) (and yes, that does matter when having multiple open TC windows launches a full new process).

787:
I take back my earlier post (challenge to append leading zero's).
I found a little button on the multi rename window that you use to specify the number of digits in a numeric file renaming sequence.
Another + for using TotalComm. (Still the best file manager for MY requirements.)
 :D
PS. Foldersizer is the other little windows exploder add on that I mentioned back a few pages. (Shows the total byte count of the folders including sub folders as an additional column in "Details" view.)

Dirhael:
Well, you're obviously a convert - good for you :)

It just doesn't work for me, I like my explorer to be LEAN_AND_MEAN (xplorer2 weighs in at ~780kb uncompressed) and fast... and without a lot of stupid copy protection running in the background that isn't a problem for the crackers anyway, but stops me from un-UPX'ing the executable :) (and yes, that does matter when having multiple open TC windows launches a full new process).

-f0dder (September 02, 2007, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I completely agree with you on the point about not being able to un-UPX totalcmd.exe being stupid, you can get a offical unpacked executable by checking out this topic at the TC forums. I don't like UPX at all no matter what application it is, as it slows down file access if you're using real-time anti-virus protection (in my case, NOD32).

nosh:
v1709 Beta released.

A new version of xplorer2 is in the horizon and experienced users can now test it in advance. Big improvements are skin support, custom toolbar icons and support for vista's symbolic links. This is a BETA (test, bugs possible) version without installer; see the readme file for instructions.

--- End quote ---
http://zabkat.com/xplorer2_1709_BETA.zip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version