ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

xplorer², a powerful windows file manager and explorer replacement / alternative

<< < (6/23) > >>

mitzevo:
One feature that I have gotten very used to is double clicking on an empty area in a pane to take you up a dir (in that pane).. I find myself doing it every where now (not in x², places like save dialog boxes, etc.) :P (tip: turn off "full row selection" from the options, now double click any where, except on a file name, to go up a dir!)

Another cool feature is pressing CTRL + D to get all directory sizes in detail view.. very fast!

P.S., My personal taste is a bit of the mouse and a bit of the keyboard, but I'm not hard on any "way" of traversing/navigating a computer :P

Dirhael:
Well today I tried TC.. I wasn't impressed.. The interface resembles Win 3.1 - some thing historical.
Sure, it has a lot of followers, and is probably very fast and powerful, but still, not my cup of hot chocolate..

I had a quick look at the options/functions/features of TC.. x² seems to cover most of them that I saw

TC looks pretty awful  :o compared to x², but of course never judge a book by its cover.. nor a program by it's interface (in most cases..) ;)

Check the following post to see how x², DOpus and TC compare with a few things:
xplorer² blog: objectively superior file manager?
-mitzevo (August 15, 2007, 03:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, don't you come here calling my TC awful! >:(

...seriously though, it's an acquired taste. I've always loved it for its power, which applications like X^2 and indeed most other file managers never even comes close to. Where's all that power you ask? In the plugins of course. I don't think there's anything besides making me a cup of coffee that there isn't a plugin for. It's not my primary file manager, as I do prefer to use Dopus most of the time. When I need some special tasks done however, it really is the right tool for the task. It is also a keyboard users dream come true which is nice :)

So, back to the ugly thing, here's my custom setup and I don't think it looks all that bad...

mitzevo:
Ok - much better looking, probably the vista aspect ..  ;D but wth am I talking about.. looks.. lol, its about power! TC has a lot of power and is one of *the* best file managers for Windows.. taking that in, I'm sorry about my remarks on TC..  I obviously haven't gotten personal with it, but that was my first impression..  :huh:

Dirhael:
Ok - much better looking, probably the vista aspect ..  ;D but wth am I talking about.. looks.. lol, its about power! TC has a lot of power and is one of *the* best file managers for Windows.. taking that in, I'm sorry about my remarks on TC..  I obviously haven't gotten personal with it, but that was my first impression..  :huh:

-mitzevo (August 15, 2007, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

No I know, it really doesn't give a good first impression with the stock settings. It's powerful even without plugins, but most functions are hidden out of sight until you start using it for a while and check the menus etc. It also doesn't help that it's configured with a ugly MS sans serif bold font by default...in fact, that's the very first thing I change after I install it as I think it's hideous!
That said, you can be thankful that you didn't install the pre-7 versions, as they looked awful without tweaking the interface (IMO at least) ;)

mitzevo:
I did change the font on at 3rd boot I think it was  :huh:

I've heard alot of people say that they switched from DOpus to a "smaller" or "lighter" file manager such as XYplorer and Xplorer² because DOpus had too many features or some thing..

I tried DOpus (just to have a quick look), and it's pretty nice. Clean interface, nice icons/toolbars/etc, a lot of working space and options. Of course that's just the "looks".. but it's all I can say for now.. I don't plan on using it.. but from first impressions, it's wicked.. a bit too pricey though :D - what I'm trying to say is, the GUI is streamlined, and looks good!

Xplorer², is all that I need though. For me, I feel also DOpus is too much for my needs, and x² will do just fine ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version