ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

C++ Development: win32 or .NET?

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
At least for the DK, I can now rule out mfc and native api in favor of .net.
-cnewtonne (August 07, 2007, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Unless, of course, you want to target low-end machines - dotNET is still somewhat heavy: initial startup-time of the dotNET runtimes after system boot is *slow* even on high-end systems, and the memory impact of dotNET apps is large too. Once started, it runs pretty well though (for normal desktop stuff anyway).

I will be doing some research this week on the Palm OS side at PDN. I have already installed Turbo C# and will be playing with it throughout this week.
-cnewtonne (August 07, 2007, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Might also want to get Microsoft's own environment, since the Express editions of Visual Studio are free (and afaik they're not crippled crap, but pretty full-featured apart from some of the heavy-end enterprise stuff you probably won't be needing anyway).

jah:
C++ & Win32 API!
FTW!

Edit: Heres a good reference: http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

wasker:
C++ and .NET -- I'd better stay out of this combination. The code in C++.NET is sorta clunky. If you plan to develop for .NET, then C# is what you want to use.
For Win32 C++/MFC is very good.

Eóin:
I'd say WTL is the way to go if you want clean C++ coding under windows. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it's the best attempt I'd dare say.

cnewtonne:
I'm now studying Turbo C++. I like it so far. My concern with C# .net stuff is performance. I saw an example of that on an application called DirectAccess which is developed using C# .net. Users were complaining about slow startup time which I know this breed of apps are known for. I also played with the well known KeyPass open source app which is again using same technology. Not as much, but few users are reporting slow startup times. I will further look into this app as well. I will report later with my findings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version