ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your music player of choice?

<< < (28/28)

Edvard:
Banshee was very delicate with external programs touching media files
--- End quote ---

That is one of the things I don't want to have in a music manager (or player) - the imposition on the media file structure.

I have noticed many tools want to "import" your files into their own structure. Especially on linux
-iphigenie (March 23, 2011, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which ones on Linux?
I haven't noticed it on Linux any more than Windows, less so in fact.
Or maybe I'm also very turned off by media players that want to play librarian and so I pre-emptively steer clear and thus haven't encountered such.

My media needs are very simple; open this, play that, thank you very much, goodbye til next time.
In that respect, VLC has never done me wrong.
I mourn the loss of Shoutcast access, but I fully understand the reasons why.
No worries, I saved my favorite .pls files long ago and they still play.

skwire:
Radio Paradise: http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_64aac.m3u
That's for the 64kbit AAC stream, which gives high quality sound without using too much bandwidth (theirs as well as mine).
-JavaJones (March 23, 2011, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Cool, Trout plays it fine.  I like AAC streams as well for the reasons you gave.   :D

JavaJones:
I have to try Trout one of these days. Though I have to admit I'm not one of those "minimal is king" people so I suspect it may not be for me, just as Foobar never was. But it's a damn fine player nonetheless, that much is clear. :)

- Oshyan

skwire:
Though I have to admit I'm not one of those "minimal is king" people so I suspect it may not be for me, just as Foobar never was.-JavaJones (March 23, 2011, 03:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not the type to toot my own my horn, but I think you'll find that Trout tries to strike a balance between the extremely minimalist players and the completely overstuffed ones.  The one thing that I've tried to maintain from the start is an intuitive load-n-play mentality.  Load files via the menu or drag-n-drop, click the play button and it should just work.  There are sooo many players I have tried that don't do drag-n-drop or even basic multi-file selection; it astounds me at times.   Anyway, enough blathering from me.  If you try Trout and don't like it, you won't hurt my feelings any.   :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version