ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stupid Copying and Pasting in XP?

<< < (2/2)

Laughing Man:
Well I'm trying to update my files in my backups (just a backup of music and images I've taken). In Vista and Ubuntu the default copying and pasting is smarter. If I copy and paste, I can choose to ignore existing files that way avoiding the trouble of having to recopy and repasting them.

But in XP I can't seem to do that. It just gives me the option to copy over the existing file/folder, copy over all existing files/folders, no, or cancel.

No seems to do the same thing as cancel.

I'm looking for an application where I can tell it to "ignore the existing files and just copy and paste the new ones over".
-Laughing Man (August 03, 2007, 05:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Err, how about: Windows XP  ;)

It's not obvious, but hold SHIFT down while you click 'No' and it'll do just what you're after.  :)

Why they couldn't have put a button in the dialogue box that does this is a complete mystery  :huh:
-katykaty (August 04, 2007, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Haha and I thought I knew most of the Windows shortcuts. And yes.. why they didn't put it in the dialog box itself is a complete mystery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version