ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Recommended/Best/Most Useful IDEs for Language *insert language*?

<< < (3/6) > >>

iphigenie:
I used to think that SlickEdit was overpriced too.  But then I really got into it and started using it.  And the time it saves for me as a contractor more than justifies the price.
-wraith808 (August 07, 2007, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would agree - slickedit is an extremely well thought out programmers editor, which has been worked on and refined for over 10 years now.

A lot of commercial software is "overpriced" if you don't need to use them. For example I think Photoshop is overpriced, because there are many tools that can do at least 80% of what photoshop can do and sometimes even better. But if you are a pro and know the tool then the speed and ease at which you can do the work is well worth the price.

I just don't code as much nowadays so I cant quite justify shelling for slickedit privately. Neither can I justify asking the company to buy it for me. Ah well.

Okke:
In case of java the best imho is IntelliJ IDEA. It might be commercial but it saves me so many headaches.
I've tried Eclipse and keep trying it with every new release but I end up going back usually within 30min.

Eclipse has loads of features, mostly because of all the plugins. Which is both a good and bad thing.
It's a pain to find all the right plugins. I'd rather have everything I need or 99% of it available right away.

The thing is, featurewise Eclipse probably surpasses IDEA. Most people compare IDEA and Eclipse and say,
Eclipse can do that too and more. In practice you hardly need most of the extra features. IDEA rocks in
the usability department. It's hard to describe but IDEA never gets in my way, it only asks me stuff when it really
really has to and then lets me move on where I was in the first place. Eclipse on the other hand annoys the heck
out of me. It seems everything takes too many keystrokes and is placed just a menu too far away. Especially the
implementation of "quick fix" in Eclipse is imo terrible. An example comparing the quick fix in IDEA/Eclipse:

Type "Hashtable somen_"
You want to import Hashtable? Well, in Eclipse you have to move the cursor back to Hashtable which interrupts your workflow.
In IDEA you press alt+space and keep on typing. IDEA also automatically removes unused imports which in Eclipse it takes another
quick fix keystroke.

It's all the little things in IDEA that are amazing. I don't need all the fancy features that I'll never use. I rather save hundreds of
keystrokes each day. Eclipse just gets in my way. It forces me to work a certain way and always distracts me from what I'm doing
and that's coding. IDEA on the other hand takes care of most of the annoying work and lets me focus on the important stuff.

Of course it's a very personal opinion. Eclipse is a great editor and you can get all the work done. It's just not for me :)

urlwolf:
vim :)

Lashiec:
-urlwolf (October 03, 2007, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

NO ;) ;D

tinjaw:
-urlwolf (October 03, 2007, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

NO ;) ;D